macbook air battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JaneEyre, Dec 25, 2010.

1. JaneEyre macrumors newbie

Hi,

just before Christmas i bought my mac air 13,3 4gb 128ssd and im playing with it right now ;). Quite happy with it but the battery doesn't last as long as the promised 7 hours under normal web-browsing use.

Do I need to fully charge and empty the battery completely before it works fine? And if so; do I have to get it to 0% accu and let it drop off or does that damage the battery?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much do you get then? Does web browsing include Flash?

3. jeanpollux macrumors newbie

4. size100 macrumors regular

5. JaneEyre thread starter macrumors newbie

I get 4 hours of battery life browsing the internet on Chrome with Flashblock installed, but watching youtube clips.

Video-editing and recording in PhotoBooth gives me 2,5 hours.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4 hours sounds normal if you're using a lot Youtube. Even HTML5 uses easily +20% of the CPU which causes shorter battery life.

7. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

That's about the same as i get

I think to get 7 hours you'll need to turn the brightness down quite a bit and not watch video. It's better than the battery in my MacBook, but no where near as good as the iPad, which is why I carry both

8. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

We're seeing Flash chomp down on the battery more than anything. Use a Flash-blocking browser extension to help prevent that. Even the newest Flash 10.2 beta chomps the battery.

When I have my MBA unplugged, I keep the screen brightness really low, but bright enough that I can see what I'm doing. Really helps with battery life.

9. JaneEyre thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... it looks like the mac functions normally. In fact, I found out that the lowest brightness saves a lot of energy. With wireless LAN on, I seem to get 8 hours to work.

In my opinion the difference between 10% brightness or 40% is practically zero; full brightness (100%) is nice but as long I'm using a battery I prefer longer battery life over brightness.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And you get used to the lower brightness is matter of seconds. When you use it with low brightness, the full one will feel way too bright