MacBook Air Battery

Rebel Heart

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
The Hague
Hi,

my 2013 13'' MBA seems to be losing battery % especially quick today.
Starting at 100%, in about 5 hours it's down to 40%. I usually can get to the end of the day and still have around 20% left. These are the stats CoconutBattery shows me;

Considering my MBA is over 5 years old, and it's now at slightly more than 80% of its original battery capacity, should I consider getting the battery replaced?
Would it give me some more years of use out of it? Or would it be better to opt for a new MacBook?

Thanks for any advice!

Rebel Heart

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
The Hague
If the current battery suits your needs, I say leave it.
It just about does it.
I’m just a bit worried that if it drops below 80%, it’ll affect more than just battery life.
Or is that only when there’s been more than a 1000 charging cycles?

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Capacity dropping below 80% won't necessarily affect anything other than battery life.

I've used a 13" MacBook Pro with a healthy battery and a charge capacity of 60%. It didn't last long on battery but that didn't really matter since it was rarely used without a charger near the end of its useful life.

Vlad.E.

Suspended
Oct 4, 2017
Have you tried lowering brightness bellow 50%?

And if your current MBA does everything you need, then just buy a new battery, much much much cheaper than buying a new MB.

Rebel Heart

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
The Hague
Have you tried lowering brightness bellow 50%?

And if your current MBA does everything you need, then just buy a new battery, much much much cheaper than buying a new MB.
it's usually at about 50-60% brightness. If it'd be any lower, it would be too dark for me to use Word etc.
I'll visit Apple about a replacement soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.