MacBook Air bezel

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mpaquette, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mpaquette macrumors regular

Anyone else wonder why Apple made the bezel on the air silver instead of black? I think it's the only device in their current line-up without a black bezel. MBP, iMac, Thunderbolt display, iPad all black. I know the glass doesn't go all the way to the edge of the screen on the Air. Just figured they'd make the bezel black to match the rest of their line-up.

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

I was advised over at Apple and MicroCenter when you customize a MBPro 15.4 inch with a matte display, you loose the black bezel and get the silver bezel as in the MBA.

3. mpaquette thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, didn't know that. My Pro is only 13" so I didn't have the matte option.

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Have no idea why they decided to only make a few models with the silver bezel but I think I like it better than the black one.

5. jltj macrumors member

I prefer the silver as well, the extra piece of glass for the black bezel adds unnecessary weight, bulk and glare.

6. Augure macrumors regular

Simply because the Macbook Pro with the black bezel have an additional layer of glass on the screen (protection) that makes it glare, when obviously this is best to have a mate bezel.

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Because it adds unnecessary height, weight, and price to an ultraportable? That'd be my guess.

8. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just wish they'd make the bezel thinner. It's the only mistake they made aesthetically in an otherwise gorgeous laptop.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Apple has traditionally made the bezel of the same material and color as the rest of the laptop.

Only the heavy glass covers have a painted border. Personally I greatly prefer the silver. Nothing wrong with black, it just looks odd to those who have been using PowerBooks for years.

Apple made the glossy extra shiny by using glass. They sell the best to those who go into the store, since they show well under the artificial lighting. Shiny toys sell best.

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

While I agree, it just isn't possible without shrinking the size of the keyboard. You could possibly up the size of the LCD, but the way the lid tapers off on all sides also makes that very difficult, if not impossible (until LCDs get even thinner, I suppose).

It's a tricky situation for their industrial design team, I'm sure. You could potentially move the ports inward, but you'd have to raise the keyboard, which would add thickness. There are tradeoffs and I'm excited to see what Apple comes up with next.

11. LordVic macrumors 68040

if the MBA had glas, and the black bezel, i probably would never have touched it at all.

I canot understand the desire for glass, and black glass bezels.

all glass, no matter how quality provides glare. its just unecessary pain in the but for what comes down to, an aethestic choice, as while the display is on, it makes no difference.

I also find that black bezels take away from the screens contrast ratio. o matter what, no display can reproduce true black in the same blackness that pain or a physical bezel's black can be. So no matter what, you always have the contrasting diffefence between simulated black levels in your picture and this monstrous black border.
    When they do it in silver, which is much much lighter colour, those blacks are darker relative to their surrounding, giving the impression of better contrast

12. Robyr macrumors regular

DING DING DING, We have a winner. I like the contrast and relative ease that the bezel disappears while I am working. I used to be slightly upset about it, moving from my 09 Pro, but now I am a huge fan.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Ive never paid attention to bezels....never understood the obsession with the unusable space of the screen....LOL

14. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I dont understand why they put such a huge bezel around the MBA screen. It's almost an extra inch on each size, so I'm sure they could have squeezed a 14" screen in that size.

Or even better, squeeze a 1440x900 12" screen in the MBA 11". Now THAT would have been my chosen machine!

15. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Honestly? The bezel is the one reason I didn't buy an Air. Everything else on my desktop has a black bezel and the air would stand out hugely in comparison, which is a petty reason to avoid a computer; but I did end up with a more powerful computer because of it.

16. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I like the silver bezel, the way it matches the rest of the computer, the silver is also IMHO less distracting to the eye than a black bezel would be.

17. austinguy23, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. The wide bezels just waste space that could be used for bigger displays.

18. firewood macrumors 604

Cost, weight, and fragility. If you want a more expensive and heavier computer then just move up to the next larger Apple laptop. It will be less expensive and less fragile than if Apple used a smaller bezel on the current MBA.

19. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes, that's a pretty silly reason to make a choice one way or the other. At least you called it out.

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Battery life.
    The size of screen + bezel determines how big a battery you can fit in the body, without making it thicker. Thinner bezel = smaller battery = less battery life. Bigger screen inside same form factor = higher power consumption = less battery life.

21. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Cost would only be slight, weight would be slight, and the fragility argument just doesn't fly. Even old laptops tend to have much thinner bezels than the Airs.

22. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

...in a much thicker lid, though, which not only allows for completely different stabilizing structures inside, but most importantly for placing the illumination (CCFL & electronics) behind the screen instead of at the sides like the LED's (and electronics) in the MBA.

23. firewood macrumors 604

Just who currently manufactures these larger displays in both the quantity and with the quality that Apple requires, but with only a slight difference in cost?

And these old laptops had much thicker, heavier lids to go with those smaller bezels. If you like that style and weight, just get a MBP instead.

24. Robyr macrumors regular

CCFL backlit screens are still backlit from the side.

25. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

If I'm gonna drop £1350 on a laptop; I want it to be perfect. A think like that is small and petty and if I had to look at it every day, I'd quickly regret my purchase.