Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Hey,
first of all I have to say that English is not my native language but I hope you understand what I want to say.;)
Last week I tried to install Windows 10 on my Macbook Air (2013) via Bootcamp. When I selected the Bootcamp partition in Windows Setup I got an error message that the partition is GPT style. Then I decided to format the Bootcamp partition in Windows Setup. I got the same error message as before which made me shutdown the Macbook...
When I try to start it again I hear the chime sound but the screen stays black (although backlight is working). I did reset the NWRAM and SMC and tried several shortcuts but none of them was working (can't get to the Startup Manager, no Safe Mode, no OS X Recovery Mode). The screen just stays black.
Can you help me what to try next? Is it possible to format the whole SSD with File Transfer Mode? Will the Macbook boot from an Live CD inserted in an external dvd drive? Is it easy to open the Macbook and connect the ssd to another Mac with some kind of adapter? The Macbook is out of warranty so I want to try everything before I send it to Apple.

Thank you very much!

Lars

LarsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
I was able to create the Boot drive but unfortunately it was not working... The screen stays black after pressing command or C key.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Hey,
first of all I have to say that English is not my native language but I hope you understand what I want to say.;)
Last week I tried to install Windows 10 on my Macbook Air (2013) via Bootcamp. When I selected the Bootcamp partition in Windows Setup I got an error message that the partition is GPT style. Then I decided to format the Bootcamp partition in Windows Setup. I got the same error message as before which made me shutdown the Macbook...
When I try to start it again I hear the chime sound but the screen stays black (although backlight is working). I did reset the NWRAM and SMC and tried several shortcuts but none of them was working (can't get to the Startup Manager, no Safe Mode, no OS X Recovery Mode). The screen just stays black.
Can you help me what to try next? Is it possible to format the whole SSD with File Transfer Mode? Will the Macbook boot from an Live CD inserted in an external dvd drive? Is it easy to open the Macbook and connect the ssd to another Mac with some kind of adapter? The Macbook is out of warranty so I want to try everything before I send it to Apple.

Thank you very much!

Lars
Command-Option-R

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201314

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Sadly this shortcut didn't work neither. Is there any other way?
How did it not work ? It should download the recovery partition from the internet to allow you to install macOS or troubleshoot your current SSD. Make sure that your connected via Wi-Fi or thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet to a modem before trying to do so again. Your MacBook Air is from 2013 it should work without a hitch.

M0nk3ym4n

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
I've just litteraly put a thread up regarding my air 2013 model with very similar issues.... Apple said it's a faulty logic board to me but I'm not sure.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I've just litteraly put a thread up regarding my air 2013 model with very similar issues.... Apple said it's a faulty logic board to me but I'm not sure.
F your not able like the OP to boot up from internet recovery it very well may be a hardware problem. Never heard of a Mac not been able to boot from the internet since the feature was first available in 2011.

LarsMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Hey,

I finally found a way to fix the problem! I opened the Macbook chassis and removed the SSD. Then I was surprisingly able to start the Internet Recovery Mode. Within Internet Recovery Mode I installed Mac Os on a SD Card and the Macbook was able to boot from it. Then I switched it off and connected the SSD again. Afterwards the Macbook could still boot from the SD card and showed the SSD in disk utility. I formatted it and then installed Mac OS on the SSD. Now everything's fine again :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.