Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's MacBook Air has undergone some major changes in recent years, including the switch to Apple silicon, a complete redesign, and the introduction of a 15-inch model, making it all the more important to consider if now is a good time to upgrade or if an older model will suffice for your needs.

MacBook-Air-15-Inch-Feature-Yellow.jpg

Following its latest refresh, Apple discontinued the M1 13-inch MacBook Air from 2020 and the M2 15-inch MacBook Air from 2023. Now, customers can choose between the M2 13-inch MacBook Air from 2022 for $999, and the M3 13- and 15-inch MacBook Airs that were just introduced for $1,099 and $1,299, respectively.

See the breakdown below for each new feature, change, and improvement that was added with each MacBook Air model since 2018 compared to its direct predecessor:

MacBook Air (M3, 2024)

• M3 Chip
  • 15% faster Neural Engine
  • Support for AV1 decode
  • New GPU architecture
  • Dynamic Caching
  • Hardware-accelerated ray tracing
  • Hardware-accelerated mesh shading
  • Support for up to two external displays when the lid is closed
  • Voice Isolation and Wide Spectrum microphone modes
  • Enhanced voice clarity in audio and video calls
  • Wi-Fi 6E
  • Anodization seal to reduce fingerprints with Midnight finish

MacBook Air (M2, 2022/2023)

• Thinner design with flat lid, rounded bottom edges, and uniform thickness
  • 13.6- or 15.3-inch Liquid Retina display
  • Apple M2 chip
  • Up to 10-core GPU
  • Hardware-accelerated H.264, HEVC, ProRes and ProRes RAW
  • ProRes encode and decode engine
  • Up to 24GB unified memory
  • 100GB/s memory bandwidth
  • 500 nits brightness
  • 1080p FaceTime HD camera
  • Four-speaker sound system or six-speaker sound system with force-cancelling woofers
  • 3.5mm headphone jack with support for high-impedance headphones
  • Bluetooth 5.3
  • MagSafe 3
  • Fast-charge capable with available 70W USB‑C Power Adapter
  • Available in Silver, Space Gray, Starlight, and Midnight
  • 1.24 kg (2.7 pounds) or 1.51 kg (3.3 pounds)

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

• Apple M1 chip
  • 8-core CPU
  • Up to 8-core GPU
  • Media engine
  • Hardware-accelerated H.264 and HEVC
  • Video decode engine
  • Video encode engine
  • 16-core Neural Engine
  • Up to 16GB unified memory
  • 62.5GB/s memory bandwidth
  • Wide colour (P3)
  • Image signal processor with computational video
  • Up to 18-hour battery life

MacBook Air (Intel, 2020)

• Up to Intel Core i7 processor
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics GPU
  • Up to 2TB storage
  • Magic Keyboard
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • 1.29 kg (2.8 pounds)

MacBook Air (Intel, 2018)

• Tapered "wedge" design
  • 13.3-inch Retina display
  • Up to Intel Core i5 processor
  • Up to 4-core CPU
  • Intel UHD Graphics 617
  • Up to 16GB memory
  • Up to 1.5TB storage
  • Butterfly Keyboard
  • 400 nits brightness
  • Full standard colour (sRGB)
  • 720p FaceTime HD camera
  • Stereo speakers
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Wi‑Fi 6
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • Up to 12-hour battery life
  • Available in Silver, Space Gray, and Gold
  • 1.25 kg (2.75 pounds)

M2 MacBook Air users have very little reason to upgrade to an M3 model unless they need absolute peak performance and don't want to buy a MacBook Pro, or perhaps if they purchased the 13-inch machine in 2022 and are now interested in the 15-inch M3 model.

Most M1 MacBook Air users will stand to benefit from upgrading to the M3 model, especially if they are looking for a bigger screen and opt for the 15-inch model. These users would gain a much more modern design, a larger and brighter display, better performance, faster memory, a 1080p camera, improved speakers, MagSafe 3, fast-charging, and more. Nevertheless, some M1 MacBook Air users may be better off waiting for the next major refresh if they are still happy with the machine, and upgrading is not essential.

For those who have an Intel-based MacBook Air, either of the generations currently on sale represent a highly worthwhile upgrade spearheaded by Apple silicon for a major performance improvement and upgrading is recommended, with many of the above upgrades quickly stacking up.

Article Link: MacBook Air Buyer's Guide: Comparing the Generations

Last edited:
Reactions: Lioness~

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Apple really should be selling the M1 Air for 799. It’s almost a 4 year product using an old design, albeit still a great one. 1,000 is just asking for too much.
It is routinely discounted as such here in the US. I still say after the M3 MBA they plop the M2 into the previous form factor and rename it the MacBook SE and price it at $999. With the drop of the M2 MBA price that seems less likely unless they went even lower ($899?) or raise the price back up with the M3.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I was considering upgrading my Intel 2020 MBA to the new 15" one, but as the display resolution is identical and I was primarily upgrading to get more info on the screen (performance of my MBA is fine) I'll skip it.

I'll wait for the next gen. I'm not sure if the extra screen size (with same resolution) is worth the size and weight penalty; I'll have a play with one once my Apple store gets them out on display.

Reactions: 03alberner.danke

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
How do I tell what version of bluetooth I have?

I've gone into system report, but don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Apple really should be selling the M1 Air for 799. It’s almost a 4 year product using an old design, albeit still a great one. 1,000 is just asking for too much.
Especially given you can (and for months now) regularly get an M2 base machine for $999 on sale

Reactions: PlayUltimate

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I wouldn’t be surprised if this model is mostly for the educational channel, perhaps with some enterprise channel sales, where they routinely give greater discounts than to the general public.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
It was released in November 2020, it’s not even a 3 year old product. $899 would be a more realistic compromise price. I’m surprised apple didn’t take the opportunity to lower the price, but I think they left it at $999 to let resellers discount it to $799 where it seems like a huge deal for bargain shoppers and drives sales as opposed to it being just $799 all the time. Psychology at that price point is more important than anything else for the target market. Creating a sense of urgency is the name of the game with the target market.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Itd be helpful to explain further why someone should upgrade from the mba m1 to the m2 version. other than screen size there doesn’t seem to be much reasoning given.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
The most baffling decision that Apple made with WWDC, IMO, is the fact that the M1 is still $999. It should have lowered to $899, then the M2 should have been $999. I really thought that they would discontinue the M1 MBAs this year and was pretty surprised that they continue to offer it. They must have of a ton of M1 chips they need to sell. But I can’t imagine that the M1 Air is going to survive past 2024.

LeafsFanNL

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
If they made an M2 MBA in some thing like the form factor of my beloved 11" air, I'd sell my M1 air and would be all over it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
5 has double the bandwidth of 4, and should in theory be more stable and reliable. Think it has a considerable range improvement too.
I think they meant Bluetooth 5.3 versus Bluetooth 5.0

Apple has been using Bluetooth 5.0 on most of their products for at least 6 years, until they introduced Bluetooth 5.3 with the iPhone 14, the M2 iPad Pro, and some macs released in the last months.

I’m not sure how much better is Bluetooth 5.3 vs 5.0 (I am sure it is a clear upgrade, otherwise Apple would have waited for the next standard version) but I feel Apple will use it in future system releases to, eventually, restrict some wireless features. It’s just my intuition.

That’s why, having had Bluetooth issues in the past, I knew that my next generation of Apple devices should feature Bluetooth 5.3. That’s one of the reasons I chose the M2 iPad Pro instead of the M1. And will try to get an iPhone 14. And, for sure, my next Mac will have Bluetooth 5.3 as well.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
In Sweden we pay about the double price what American's pay for Apple stuff.
We are used to it, it's nothing new. But the Apple prices isn't going down, quite the opposite.

• Wow
Reactions: Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
In Sweden we pay about the double price what American's pay for Apple stuff.
We are used to it, it's nothing new. But the Apple prices isn't going down, quite the opposite.
It would be shocking if they keep selling the M1 Air for 999 in 2025 without at least bumping the silicon to M2.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.