Macbook Air...Can't remove Clamxav App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tallgrl230, May 16, 2019.

1. Tallgrl230 macrumors newbie

Tallgrl230

Hi all,

A few months back I downloaded a free trial version of the virus protection called ClamXav. When it expired I tried to remove it but haven't deleted all of it. I Googled how to remove it (I'm a newer Mac user) and followed directions on locating all the files in "library" that had pieces of the program embedded, then I deleted them. After that, I emptied the trash.

Immediately my pc started sending me the following error and it slowed down and started locking up. How do I get this thing completely removed? Please remember I'm not computer savvy and I'm learning the Mac System. I use Macbook Air and Mojave.

BTW, it tells me to launch the app, but I have already deleted the app and don't really want to do it again since it's a pain to remove. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Tallgrl230 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tallgrl230

3. Tallgrl230 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tallgrl230

The link to nektony.com isn't helpful, but thanks! It's the same link I used to attempt to remove it in the first place. How do I get rid of the part that keeps sending me pop-ups?

4. niji Contributor

niji

you and one previous poster have been following the wrong directions to Uninstall ClamXAV.

you have been following a site called Nektony that has nothing to do with ClamXAV.

the only real connection between Nektony and ClamXAV is that Nektony is trying to sell you its own app for app removal.
    Nektony tries to complicate app removal in order to sell its own software.

you want to go to ClamXAV's site and go to the this page ( https://www.clamxav.com/support/FAQs/ )
    go to the bottom of this FAQ page and the last thing mentioned and provided is the link to download the ClamXAV uninstaller.

sorry that ClamXAV didn't work out for you. its been my go to main malware/virus scanner for years, since its very easy and light and is easily uninstalled if you use its own tool.

HTH

5. Tallgrl230 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tallgrl230

Thanks so much!

6. benshive macrumors regular

I'm not familiar with this issue but for future reference there's an app called AppCleaner that you can downloaded for free that can remove any app and all files associated with it that wouldn't normally be removed by just deleting the .app file.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

AppCleaner is really one of the best apps in its category, but it doesn't remove all the associated files. That is why EasyFind or similar app should be used to find and remove the leftovers manually.