Macbook air cant turn on after SMC v1.9 update

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by flyinghenry, Oct 3, 2013.

1. flyinghenry macrumors newbie

I updated the newly released v1.9 and turned off macbook air after the update. When I tried to restart it, its dead. The is no sign on the LED light. I tried to reset the SMC but it didn't work. Did anyone come across the same problem?:confused: Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

It's not clear to me what you mean when you say you turned it off after the update. The update automatically downloads, installs, and restarts the machine. You should not do anything to interrupt the process.

It's very possible that you hosed your machine. Resetting the SMC would be your only hope I think. Try it again and again, and if it doesntt work you probably have no option but to take it to Apple.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I could not reproduce this problem. Although my Air is almost never turned off, I powered it off and powered it back on (twice, once on AC and once on battery). No problems.

A.

4. flyinghenry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. I didn't interrupt the update. The update was actually successful. It automatically restarted the machine and I used it for a couple of minutes. And after that I turned it off. When I tried to turn on the machine later, it didn't work.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

OK then. All I would suggest would be to keep trying SMC resets. By the way, I have to ask--how do you turn your machine off?

6. flyinghenry thread starter macrumors newbie

I clicked the apple icon and chose to shut down. Also when I plugged it into the power supply, the led light was still off. My guess is the battery issue since the new update is dealing with the battery issue.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

I had to ask about shut down because you said you "turned off" the machine. I wondered if you were doing something other than shutting it down.

8. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Same thing with me. Just ran the SMC update on a 2012 MBA. It shutdown, restarted, and was running fine. I closed the lid to put it to sleep, and now I can't get it to turn on. Tried SMC reset multiple times. :(

9. Spacial macrumors 6502

I'm relieved that I decided to wait, we have three dead after doing the update here in the office.

10. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Good thing I checked the forums before I installed this update. I'm staying away from this one until Apple fixes it.

11. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

[tinfoilhat] THIS IS WHY i NEVER INSTALL UPDATES [/tinfoilhat]