Macbook Air Care Tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mikeyswen79, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Mikeyswen79, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Mikeyswen79 macrumors member

Mikeyswen79

Hi there,

New MBA11 i7 128GB SSD owner here. Samsung SSD, LG panel for the OCD nerd in all of us.

Anyways, I am trying to figure out all the things one should do to make sure their laptop stays as nice as possible. I'm considering all the physical care, such as cases and screen care, but am also wondering on how to make sure performance doesn't take a hit.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Tips on screen care, such as avoiding keyboard imprints
    - Tips on body, keyboard care. How to keep it feeling like new and not get all oily, etc.
    - Case recommendations
    - How to keep computer clean, like deleting "ghost" files after you uninstall applications? THis one is the most important to me because I never figured out how to delete all remnants of an App.

This involves also keeping the Library folder and System folder clean, but I don't know how to go about doing that either. I'm not going to mess with it until I know what I'm doing. All I know at the moment is to clear caches.

Can some one help me out? The more info the better.

Any other things I haven't thought of are also much appreciated!

2. fireworksdesign macrumors member

Trying to make your air nice for years to come is not bag at all ,it actually protects our investment and disciplines us to make sure we are not neglecting our investment.

Screencare - carry a microfiber cleaning cloth with you, to wipe the dust from the screen , keyboard and other areas.

Zagg Invisible shield - You can use other shields too if you want, protects from dust, scratches and other sharp objects. This doesnt provide protection from a fall so if you can get one that offers padding , case or like a shell of some sort, try it out.

Laptop Sleeve - Even with your shell or shield its not enough. Especially if you put your air on a bag , and by accident it drops like 3 to 5 feet. It's better to be prepared for scenarios like this if you frequently travel. This is one sleeve that is shock absorbing > http://www.hardcandycases.com/bubble-sleeve-macbook-air-case.html << planning to get one but I dont like how it looks with the circles, but this baby can surely protect your air.

Keep your workspace simple and clean - Take away any liquids near the air, or sharp objects that could damage the screen.

3. irontiger82 macrumors member

everyone knows that the trackpad gets all oily and shiny in the middle.

I just put the apple sticket on the track pad lol. It really does feel the same except the outer edges of the sticker.

4. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

The screen doesn't get fingerprints from the keyboard in the same way as the macbook pro's, so you don't need to bother putting a cloth or something between the screen and keyboard when having it in your bag.

To keep it fresh and relatively scratch free, normal guideliness apply. Always put it in a sleeve when it's in your bag. Clean the keyboard, screen and chassi regurally with the method of choice. Alot of people here like microfiber cloths. I have used window cleaner on my macbook keyboards and sometimes screen for years without any issues. So just clean it, just make sure you don't get moist/water in the computer.

5. adammade macrumors newbie

Compressed air is good for cleaning out the dust around the keyboard, and a little in the vents too. Be careful not to be too violent with it though.

http://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/mac - For making sure all the preferences and associated files are chucked out with the uninstalled apps.

If you really wanna start learning about core services and all the system folder, make an image of your mac with disk utility. Then you're backed up and can fiddle around til your hearts content.

When anything ever runs slow or isn't working as it should, system preferences in your library is my first place to look.

Start learning a bit of Terminal code, this really gets you underneath the UI.

But above all, remember the main reason we all bought one, was to show off to our friends.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This Is Useful

I'm getting mine in 2 weeks.....Thanks for the tips, what about cases? Any recommendations or just a normal lappy bag?

7. adammade macrumors newbie

8. scarred macrumors 6502a

The only wear and tear I've noticed is with the keyboard keys. They get dirty fast, even with my keeping my hands quite clean. Even with cleaning them, they keep a little shine (which just keeps building up). I recommend the Moshi keyboard protector. It is more expensive then others, but is really quite thin and mostly invisible.

The trackpad does get dirty as well, but so far wipes off clean and looks brand new.