Macbook Air case or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Urindanger, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Urindanger macrumors member

Looking to buy a Speck SeeThru Satin and to have on my MBA. But do wonder if I need a case or not. Do you need a case or not?

2. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Unless you're very scrupulous about keeping the inside of the case clean, it could potentially actually scratch your MBA with trapped debris. Also, will reduce cooling efficiency, if you put heavy demands on the CPU. Also IMHO it spoils the design. I prefer just to use a (Joli) sleeve (and keyboard protector).

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I had one on my late 2010 MBA and I have one one on my mid 2012 MBA. I don't know what the other person is saying about debris damaging it because when I sold my old MBA, I took off the case and it didn't have a single scratch or mark on it. I'm using the clear case not the satin though. I feel like I have to worry less with the case on it. Not thinking about scratches and minor bumps. Do you need it? Depends on you. Are you careful with your electronics? Will you be moving it a lot? Where will you be using it?

4. ClassObject macrumors 6502

ClassObject

Speck cases spontaneously crack in the corners and where they attach. Even with this issue they have saved my MBA. Dropped off a 3 foot counter and endoed for another 6 feet. Only problem was the speck case was trashed. Bought another.

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

My opinion? It makes little sense to buy the smallest, lightest laptop and then saddle it with a case. If you want to keep the outside scratch free, grab a skin like icarbons or wrapsol.

6. lls4f macrumors regular

I bought the iPearl case for mine, but ended up hating it. While the color (aqua) was cute, the design of the aluminum was totally lost, and the computer ended up looking cheapened. So I'm returning that case and opting for using what I bought without worrying about little scuffs. If I end up reselling it, it will be at least 3 or 4 years down the road, so by then, if you are buying that old of a machine, you can expect some wear.

7. Zzari macrumors member

8. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

9. asting macrumors 6502

The scratching occurs when dirt or grit gets caught between the case and the laptop.

Personally, I'm currently using a zagg invisibleSHIELD full body. It's very nice, and the finish isn't bad. I read about others hating the touchpad portion, but it gives a nice smooth finish to the pad, and doesn't add resistance.
    I also have a neoprene sleeve and a leather sleeve.
    If you're going to get a sleeve, make sure it has no zipper along the side, because that can scratch the edges very easily.

10. Wokis macrumors regular

ooookaay. Speck viral advertising team? You're doing it wrong, your admitting the product has flaws.

I've ordered a speck but am kind of regretting it at the moment so I'll see if I return it. I agree, a bit of the point with the air is that it should be thin. Better off just getting a sleeve.

11. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

No need for a case... Except if you really think that there is a high chance of you ( or someone else ) scratching it more than the case itself would ( like others have pointed out, if something gets caught between the case and notebook and you don't notice it, it can scratch your MBA quite seriously ).

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I really don't get why people feel the need for some horrible, plastic case. I use a sleeve when I put it in my bag. I carry my MBA every day and I don't have scratches in it.