Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
13" base MBA, haven't had this problem so far.

It was at 30%, plugged it in, it's been an hour and it's only at 37% by now. The 'time until full charge' says 15 hours and 6 minutes.

What is going on?

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Are you using a lower wattage charger or the one that came with your MBA? Are you using it while charging and doing intense tasks?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What is going on?
During periods of high power demands, your MBA will draw power from AC and the battery, or at least draw enough AC that the battery will charge slower. If you don't have anything running that you know consumes resources, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Are you using a lower wattage charger or the one that came with your MBA?
Apple doesn't make a lower wattage charger than the one that comes with the MBA.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
During periods of high power demands, your MBA will draw power from AC and the battery, or at least draw enough AC that the battery will charge slower. If you don't have anything running that you know consumes resources, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Apple doesn't make a lower wattage charger than the one that comes with the MBA.

Thanks for the answer but I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, or that I haven't done before while charging.

I have Safari opened up, Mail, Pages and iTunes. Nothing highly demanding.

The outlet is a Kensington and I've used this one before and haven't had problems with it. I should try restarting my laptop and see if this resets some things.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ah I thought the 13" MBA came with a higher one than the 11, good to know :D
Intel-Based Apple Portables: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord--US

----------

Thanks for the answer but I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, or that I haven't done before while charging.

I have Safari opened up, Mail, Pages and iTunes. Nothing highly demanding.
Did you check Activity Monitor, as I suggested? It's possible to have a process running you're not aware of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.