Macbook Air - clamshell mode - 2 monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sawyersw, Feb 9, 2015.

1. sawyersw macrumors newbie

I am trying to set up my mid 2013 Macbook Air, runnings OSX 10.10.2, in clamshell mode and use two external monitors and have the monitors in extended desktop mode. The monitors have HDMI/DVI/VGA/Component inputs. Are there any adapters out there that would let me do this?

Thanks for the help!

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

One display port > HDMI and one USB > HDMI. The USB adapter will not be perfect and video will have some issues. Text is usually ok.

2 monitors from one display port is only possible if both monitors are display port and you chain the connection.

3. JoEw macrumors 65832

JoEw

I believe the only way to do this with claimshell closed is to daisy chain 2 thunderbolt monitors.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Why wouldn't the USB adapter work?

5. JoEw macrumors 65832

JoEw

I thought the USB ports couldn't pass data/video when lid is closed.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

That's not the case. Lid-closed mode would be pretty crap if you couldn't plug stuff into your computer while you're using it.

7. JoEw macrumors 65832

JoEw

Weird maybe I am thinking of something else. Nevermind, go with the USB method as it is cheaper.:D

8. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If you are connected to power and have the lid closed, you can click an external mouse or keyboard and wakeup the Mac. Clamshell mode needs to have the USB ports functional.
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834