Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I would like to know how does the current MBA (2013/14) compare to the cMBP (2012) which is my current laptop. My current Pro really isn't being used to its full potential since I don't do either video nor photo editing and don't read/burn optical media like I used to. I mainly use my notebook for web browsing, media playback, ocasional gaming, sync my iPhone & office productivity. Things I believe the current Air can more than handle. I love the design and how thin it is. Also love the idea of the huge battery life between charges but found out that the display is of poorer quality than in my cMBP. Is that right ? Also, processor wise how does it stack up against my current 2.5GHz i5 "Ivy Bridge" with the base model 1.3/4 GHz "Haswell" ?

RianT

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
I would like to know how does the current MBA (2013/14) compare to the cMBP (2012) which is my current laptop. My current Pro really isn't being used to its full potential since I don't do either video nor photo editing and don't read/burn optical media like I used to. I mainly use my notebook for web browsing, media playback, ocasional gaming, sync my iPhone & office productivity. Things I believe the current Air can more than handle. I love the design and how thin it is. Also love the idea of the huge battery life between charges but found out that the display is of poorer quality than in my cMBP. Is that right ? Also, processor wise how does it stack up against my current 2.5GHz i5 "Ivy Bridge" with the base model 1.3/4 GHz "Haswell" ?

It may feel slightly snappier due to the SSD on the MBA, but it's not gonna blow your mind. I have a mid-2014 MBA and it does everything you said just fine. No slow down or heat issue whatsoever.

If you like a skinnier wife who goes much longer before saying "babe I'm hungry", then get the Air. Otherwise it's not really worth it.

Last edited:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I can't speak for the non retina MBP, but I have a 2014 base model Air and it does all the things you mention just fine, although I don't game on it. The ridiculously long battery life between charges is a lovely feature as is the slim form factor and weight, if you can call it that.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
The MBA display is actually higher resolution than the cMBP at 1440x900p vs 1280x720p. It will be a noticeably faster and lighter computer with better battery life. You can get essentially equal performance on the cMBP if you upgrade to an SSD, but if you really want the weight reduction/battery life, the MBA is your best choice. It really beats out the cMBP in every aspect other than upgradeability.

Matt

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
The MBA display is actually higher resolution than the cMBP at 1440x900p vs 1280x720p. It will be a noticeably faster and lighter computer with better battery life. You can get essentially equal performance on the cMBP if you upgrade to an SSD, but if you really want the weight reduction/battery life, the MBA is your best choice. It really beats out the cMBP in every aspect other than upgradeability.

Matt

I have an early 2011 cMBP and have been debating between getting a 2014 MBA or 2014 rMBP and the screen was one thing I was thinking about. I just thought of your point about the resolution on the MBA being better than the cMBP and was coming here to ask about this. If I'm fine with the screen on my cMBP I'd be happy with the screen on the MBA right? Or are there other differences I should consider?

RianT

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
I have an early 2011 cMBP and have been debating between getting a 2014 MBA or 2014 rMBP and the screen was one thing I was thinking about. I just thought of your point about the resolution on the MBA being better than the cMBP and was coming here to ask about this. If I'm fine with the screen on my cMBP I'd be happy with the screen on the MBA right? Or are there other differences I should consider?

You should be fine. But if you use the rMBP for a while, the display would spoil you lol I think the screen on the MBA is excellent.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013

I used the MBA 13 inch but found the screen to be lacking when compared to my current cMBP as explained on this article. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/7 Its from the 2011 models but from what I have gleamed online the quality has not changed. I guess for me this is the biggest detractor to moving over to the 13 MBA. I'm by no means a photo editor but the difference seems to be to extreme depending on the viewing angle for me to be comfortable to use for the next few years.

Matt

Sorry for my omission but I did upgraded to an SSD last year for my current cMBP. My question was wether the difference in design & ample battery life is reason enough to migrate to the new MBAs.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
I used the MBA 13 inch but found the screen to be lacking when compared to my current cMBP as explained on this article. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/7 Its from the 2011 models but from what I have gleamed online the quality has not changed. I guess for me this is the biggest detractor to moving over to the 13 MBA. I'm by no means a photo editor but the difference seems to be to extreme depending on the viewing angle for me to be comfortable to use for the next few years.

Sorry for my omission but I did upgraded to an SSD last year for my current cMBP. My question was wether the difference in design & ample battery life is reason enough to migrate to the new MBAs.

i have both and the air is amazing...
mostly because when you need to take it somewhere it weighs almost nothing and you never have to carry a charger...
so to answer your question, if portability is important to you the air does warrant the upgrade... though you could sell yours for about $800 or so...

speed wise you won't notice a difference but that is mainly due to the SSD. i have a friend with a C2D 2010 MBP and after i put in a 128 EVO in it, i could barly notice a difference between that and her partner's 2012 rMBP....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.