Macbook Air #concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jeyasuriya10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. jeyasuriya10 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I'm a college student in the 3rd year of my 4 year engineering course and I want to buy my first laptop. After long hours of serious internet research, I'm still confused about what to buy. So please help me out guys.
    I work a lot with matlab and labiew. I do a lot of surfing, watch a lot of movies and occasionally photoshop. I'm not into hardcore gaming but I do play games like COD 4 and portal from time to time. My choices are the 2014 Macbook air 13'' and the 2013 Macbook pro 13''. I lean on MBA because it is easy to carry around and because of its battery back up. I spend most of my time in college working on matlab so my laptop should last an entire college day (7-9 hours). My major concern is again working with matlab. I know I'm stressing it a lot but it would be a waste to buy a machine for a huge price but end up not being able to run matlab smoothly. As I am a college student, I'm also worried about the price. MBA seems to fit my needs but I'm worried that the 1.4Ghz processor and the 4 GB RAM wouldn't be enough. I'm from India so I wont be able to upgrade it to 8 GB which leaves me with either buying a 13'' MBA or a 13'' MBP. But buying a MBP would hit me hard on my college fund.
    Please suggest me which machine to buy guys. It would be really helpful if u could send me your views as early as possible as I'll buy in two or three week's time.
    Thank you in advance!!

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

My suggestion is to do some homework, read reviews, visit an Apple retailer (if one is available to you) and compare the systems you're considering. Check published synthetic benchmark results between the systems on your short list.

I bought my MBA because if resolved an issue I had with all of the travel I do for work, and it became an integral part of my compute environment in my office. I don't load it down with heavyweight applications, mostly email/browsing/running a windows vm.

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I would take the Macbook Air (it has a newer architecture of the CPU and a better GPU (both important for Matlab).
    Of course, if you're using Matlab to make complex numerical simulations, more RAM would be an advantage.
    So if you're not using Matlab for really complex simulations, choose the Macbook Air (moreover, it is light).
    If you do make complex stuff, choose the Macbook Pro (moreover, it has more IO ports for stuff like sensors).

But in fact, you can buy a macbook air with 8 Gigs of RAM (as much as the pro can accept). So if photoshop isn't for photos, take the Macbook Air.

4. Lachhh macrumors regular

What's with the hashtag in the title? :confused:

The Air is going to be able to handle Matlab and Labview, it's going to be able to handle your occasional Photoshop habit too. Might get pissy with you on games, but hey, can't have it all if you're on a budget.
    I'd recommend the Air because it'll get what you need done. The Pro might be more forgiving when playing games, the question now is do you want your college fund to take a hit because of improved gaming performance? You decide.