Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tupelo2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Just wanted to post my own experience with this phenomenon.

It absolutely is caused by loose screws on the bottom of the laptop. However, in my case, tightening of ALL of the screws was impossible as one of the screw holes on the bottom of the case came 'stripped' (the one on the bottom left of the left side hand rest).

So, unfortunately, this will not go away for me. I can tighten all the other screws (and have tried mixing and matching), but i cannot tighten that location. It leads to creaking of the hand rest and the base feels 'loose' most of the time.

Im not posting because i think its all that huge of an issue (i.e. i dont plan on replacing my unit), i just wanted to post my own experience since id seen this topic discussed on here previously.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I took my 11" MBA to the genius bar twice for this issue. I've had it since early December, and there was no creaking for a few months. Over the past few weeks I've been traveling a lot, and noticed it was starting to creak pretty badly in some areas, notably the right speaker/palmrest.

The first time I took it in, the person was really nice and tightened the screws for me. However, upon getting it home I realized he didn't do that great of a job, as while the right side wasn't creaking anymore, the portion just below the trackpad was creaking really bad. It was also creaking with regular handling.

The second time I went, I got a different person and they weren't as nice. He said that all MBAs creak and that it is normal. I asked him what about all those people without creaking MBAs, and he said that they all creaked, and that those people just didn't care about it. I told him that I thought that was kind of a ridiculous theory, as if they all creaked this would be a bigger deal.

Nevertheless, he insisted creaking was normal. I asked him anyway if he could reseat the bottom base and tighten the screws. He obliged, and actually did a much better job than the first guy. There is no creaking anywhere right now. He did say that the creaking would come back for sure, though, and that I can't get the machine replaced for this because its not a "real" problem.

Anyway, I think I'll just order the driver from iFixit, as then I can adjust the screws myself whenever the creaking comes back, if it does. Besides this I'm completely satisfied with this machine, and it has been a vital daily companion for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.