Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenbook

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
Australia
Dunno if it has been suggested but "something in the air" ... isn't that about love? Love is in the air --->Beatles.
Maybe this isn't about big hardware updates and just some additions to iTunes store etc. I wouldn't be the first time that everybody is all hyped up and later on disappointed.

You mean John Paul Young (re: Love is in the air). Maybe he will give the keynote. Could be good.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Most users are getting Windows Mobile phones, or putting up with the aging Palm OS, but at least those phone have real features.

Hmm... last quarter, Apple outsold each of those two competitors. "Most users" seem to disagree with you. I expect you, like many people, fall into the trap of equating "most users" with "most people caught in the Outlook-or-death corporate environment."

Hopefully Apple sees this and changes the almost 5 year old design of the MacBook Pro and puts some real hardware in it for the pros, and not the "every man, average Joe" market.

I agree with you that the design of the MBP could use an update. But what more "real hardware" do you expect Apple to put in? The MBP already has Intel's fastest mobile CPU. It has the fastest mobile GPU that doesn't require a 1.5" thick, 8+lb enclosure for cooling. (If that's what you want, I'm glad Apple isn't following your wishes.) It has the fastest conventional 2.5" HD available (the 200GB 7200rpm option). It has 802.11n, FW800, and an ExpressCard slot that can give you eSATA. It's really hard for me to see how Apple could make MBP performance any better without turning the thing into an unusable BrickBook.

whlteXbread

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007

Hogwash. You can't directly compare the (measurably small) EMF's emitted from transmission lines to the UWB RF radiation emitted from wireless routers. The amount of power emitted from wireless routers (and any EMF source) drops off at one over the distance from the router (or source) squared (IE really fast). In the vast majority of cases, you get more radiation from the sun walking from your office to your car, or from class to class...

I'm also curious about wireless in hospitals. The hospital in town here bans cellphones in many areas because of the possibility of them affecting medical equipment. Would this not also be an issue with wireless (not to mention security concerns related to patient confidentiality)?

Cellphones use much higher power RF energy than wireless routers. Even so, medical instruments are designed to be very robust - you can bet that sensitive circuitry is properly shielded. Noise tolerance is pounded into the brain of any circuit designer.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
...I can carry my laptop in a rucksack, so the only saving can be a bit of space in my bag and a bit of weight. Are there that many people that will see the advantage...

The biggest reason I haven't got myself a macbook is because it's too big to carry around with me anywhere I go.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
if someone could be me an example of when they really need there entire PC and its contents on the go then I’ll stand down

I agree that this subnotebook doesn't need full PC power. The way I see it, the folks who want "their entire PC and its contents" can just buy a Macbook or Macbook pro.

This machine needs to stand out and offer something that other computers don't offer. I think it will stand out by being incredibly thin with good battery life.

Greenbook

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
Australia
Hmm... last quarter, Apple outsold each of those two competitors. "Most users" seem to disagree with you. I expect you, like many people, fall into the trap of equating "most users" with "most people caught in the Outlook-or-death corporate environment."

I agree with you that the design of the MBP could use an update. But what more "real hardware" do you expect Apple to put in? The MBP already has Intel's fastest mobile CPU. It has the fastest mobile GPU that doesn't require a 1.5" thick, 8+lb enclosure for cooling. (If that's what you want, I'm glad Apple isn't following your wishes.) It has the fastest conventional 2.5" HD available (the 200GB 7200rpm option). It has 802.11n, FW800, and an ExpressCard slot that can give you eSATA. It's really hard for me to see how Apple could make MBP performance any better without turning the thing into an unusable BrickBook.

I agree.

Then again, I reckon apple could make a pretty decent laptop if they used the full volume of one of their classic mac carry bags.

0c71_12.JPG

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I agree that this subnotebook doesn't need full PC power. The way I see it, the folks who want "their entire PC and its contents" can just buy a Macbook or Macbook pro.

This machine needs to stand out and offer something that other computers don't offer. I think it will stand out by being incredibly thin with good battery life.

I agree. Subnotebooks should be for those people constantly on the go, are in the field, or just don't need to much power. In the school district I work at, we have 3 servers in each school: an authentication server, a server to hold teacher accounts and another for student accounts. That way, no matter which computer they use, they can access their account. Plus, since their accounts are on the server and not their own computers, they save a lot of hard drive space.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
If this thing is real, then I think it will have three USB ports and a FireWire port.

I'm not really familiar with those ultra-low voltage chips, but I hope Apple managed to jam in a reasonable Core 2 Duo in there. If it is a 13" laptop, 2 GHz wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, I wouldn't mind a dedicated video solution if this is a Pro machine.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
You'd be a lot more forgiving with it if they were to produce a high end C2D xMac in that form factor, I'm sure Clive... ;)

Ahh, you know me too well... ;) Am I really that transparent?

I would be a little more forgiving of a computer I could actually use to its full potential, yes, but I still miss the days where Apple would make just a little sacrifice of functionality for form... and I'm not talking minimalistic MacMini-style. I'm talking G4 iMac style. That machine was a looker!

...You are insane. The Mac Pro is STILL the best looking tower case out there, bar none—an absolutely pure combination of form (minimalist aluminum) and function (efficient airflow). Beauty in appearance and operation.

I agree with your statement, but just becasue the Mac Pro is the best looking today doesn't make it beautiful. Others have preceded it which far outshine the Mac Pro's beauty. The Cube comes to mind, as well as even the "full-size" G4. Even the Graphite G3 iMac is still a thing of beauty, IMO.

Apple just hasn't been meeting my design standards since this whole "minimalist" phase. Yes, I like things simple, but I also like them with some sort of visual appeal...

What would you appreciate more, aesthetically, in a woman/mate? Simple beauty, or just simple?

Apple has abandoned simple beauty for simple. I'm a man who likes to have his cake and eat it too.

Call me greedy if you want.

-Clive

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
I just want a lightweight small Pro line machine to replace my 12" Powerbook as my Ableton performance machine... Is that too much to ask? :eek:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Compared to other 17" books, the ones without SLI that are 2" thick... Apple is missing plenty of USB ports (although I'd prefer FW), a second HDD, a number pad (for those that care to use it), HDMI, 3G/WiMax built-in, and possibly... just possibly the addition of an internal eSATA port.

As far as the design..... wow, where do I start? Mag latch from MacBook, user replaceable HDD (if there are two HDD slots then BOTH of them user accessible), added ports, maybe even the MacBook keyboard just to be different. Honestly there is a lot to do with the current design and hardware in the MacBook Pros. Being satisfied with what is current is okay, but that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't give working pros the option of juicing up their portables at the expense of battery power.

Don't believe the hype about the iPhone. Apple outsold Windows Mobile and Palm OS because, (1) most people still want a typical phone, and (2) most users that bought smart phones in the previous years still have theirs, (3) the iPhone isn't a smart phone, and when compared to the other phones in the market it couldn't compare. The motorola V3 was the top phone in 07

linkie: http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/11/and_the_best_se.html

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Don't believe the hype about the iPhone.

I, for one, don't need to believe a thing. This iPhone is real, here and in my hand and it's a great communication device/ipod/phone. OK, it's not cheap and it isn't perfect but even with that considered it's a great device.

Remember Mac vs. PC.... :D

I agree with you about the MBP design though. It's possibly a design classic but it really needs an update at this stage.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If this thing is real, then I think it will have three USB ports and a FireWire port.

I'm not really familiar with those ultra-low voltage chips, but I hope Apple managed to jam in a reasonable Core 2 Duo in there. If it is a 13" laptop, 2 GHz wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, I wouldn't mind a dedicated video solution if this is a Pro machine.

We might be surprised and Apple come out with a 13" MacBook Pro, an Aluminum MacBook, and the "Air"...

I would think the "Air" would have at most 2 USB ports. It might have the new Wireless USB? Bluetooth and WiFi of course. How much for the 32Gig and the 64Gig?

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Dunno if it has been suggested but "something in the air" ... isn't that about love? Love is in the air --->Beatles.
Maybe this isn't about big hardware updates and just some additions to iTunes store etc. I wouldn't be the first time that everybody is all hyped up and later on disappointed.

No way the addition of a group to the iTMS merits the main poster at MW. And anyway, it's not even a Beatles song iirc.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Compared to other 17" books, the ones without SLI that are 2" thick... Apple is missing plenty of USB ports (although I'd prefer FW), a second HDD, a number pad (for those that care to use it), HDMI, 3G/WiMax built-in, and possibly... just possibly the addition of an internal eSATA port.

A couple of extra USB ports (or even another Firewire port) would suit me just fine. An HDMI port would be stellar.

As far as the design..... wow, where do I start? Mag latch from MacBook, user replaceable HDD (if there are two HDD slots then BOTH of them user accessible), added ports, maybe even the MacBook keyboard just to be different. Honestly there is a lot to do with the current design and hardware in the MacBook Pros. Being satisfied with what is current is okay, but that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't give working pros the option of juicing up their portables at the expense of battery power.

Totally agree. When I was picking out systems, I ended up getting the Macbook because of those notable design advantages, and the perfect size for traveling. Ever since the first macbook came out, I was wondering why on earth Apple stuck to the hook and latch method of clamshell closure.

As for this sub-notebook, no firewire, USB and mini-DVI port, and it's basically a no-go. I'd like a smaller notebook that is as powerful as my macbook, but does away with some components to make it optimal for traveling, but not render my current peripherals useless because it has no ports. I don't do companion machines, and I'd like something that is capable of being my road warrior, but can be expanded into a proper home system. My macbook can do this, why shouldn't this?

jmlarsen

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
By the time an ultraportable involves an external optical and at least an ethernet dongle, not to mention the usual power cable, it seems like quite a bulky an inelegant package to me. At that point, I would rather just carry a MacBook, even if it were a few ounces heavier. And 4-pin FW is believable, but I certainly hope Apple doesn't use it for an ultraportable, because the situations that call for an ultraportable also call for a hub-powered portable HD. If you have to carry around an HD's power cord, again, you may as well just have a MacBook. So between the problems with the 4-pin and the inelegance of the dongle, I wouldn't rule out the collapsable ports, a wedge shape, or some other creative way to fit real ports on this machine.

And at least one post on this thread reminded us that since this is probably not meant to be a primary computer, it does not have to be too powerful -- just enough for web & email. I'll add MS Office to that list of essentials -- but still, why get a notebook for that? Why not just a smartphone? Or a PDA? For me, this machine would need enough power to run Photoshop. I don't think an ultraportable has to run Final Cut, but Photoshop is necessary to distinguish a notebook from a smartphone. I don't know what hardware would be necessary to effectively run Photoshop, but many of you surely do, and I think that should be Apple's target performance. I just don't think that there is a market for a machine that can do any less than that, and I don't think we need pay for a machine that can do much more.

Can't wait...

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
Any guesses on MacBookAir battery life?

My Al powerbook is supposed to give 4.5 hours, a new macbook 6 hours. Any chance this new machine could last for 10 hours ? That would be amazing.

Would replaceable bays as with Pismo's be out of the question?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I, for one, don't need to believe a thing. This iPhone is real, here and in my hand and it's a great communication device/ipod/phone. OK, it's not cheap and it isn't perfect but even with that considered it's a great device.

Remember Mac vs. PC.... :D

I agree with you about the MBP design though. It's possibly a design classic but it really needs an update at this stage.

Not to get anyone on the whole iPhone versus other phones topic, but I agree that the phone is wonderful... I am upset that I can't own one myself, and the price isn't that far off from competitors. My biggest issue is what I am getting for that price. I think the UI is the biggest advantage the ease of use in syncing contacts and other info. For me I need phone as modem and the ability to use productivity apps and (SORRY) a real keyboard. I may be able to get used to the typing, but the other features I just can't live without.

I compare the iPhone and it's let down for some users with the MacBook Air because I have a feeling that some users may be upset (as is typical) and other shouting for joy. I know that if the MBA has a 1.8" drive, no FW, and a ethernet dongle that many will lose in the first month the MBA would be a failure to me. Which lead me down below....

A couple of extra USB ports (or even another Firewire port) would suit me just fine. An HDMI port would be stellar.

Totally agree. When I was picking out systems, I ended up getting the Macbook because of those notable design advantages, and the perfect size for traveling. Ever since the first macbook came out, I was wondering why on earth Apple stuck to the hook and latch method of clamshell closure.

As for this sub-notebook, no firewire, USB and mini-DVI port, and it's basically a no-go. I'd like a smaller notebook that is as powerful as my macbook, but does away with some components to make it optimal for traveling, but not render my current peripherals useless because it has no ports. I don't do companion machines, and I'd like something that is capable of being my road warrior, but can be expanded into a proper home system. My macbook can do this, why shouldn't this?

I am in that boat now.... I can either get my job to buy me a 17" MBP or a Mac Pro up to $4000. I used the money I saved before up to purchase some more photo equipment, it's Nikon so God only knows when I will see it. I don't want Apple to make notebooks super small and super trendy. Give me balance, like the MacBook. Now that they have SR a decent GFX card, and up to 4Gb of RAM I may opt to buy the SR MB and get the job to get me a Mac Pro, selling my current 15" MBP in the process.

I will miss the backlit keys and the FW800 though. I like the current 17" MBP and I love the fact that it's only a pound heavier than the 15" but I don't like that all I am getting for the cost is an extra USB (which I don't even use the ones on my 15" at all!) and the gorgeous screen. Push come to shove the 17" is my choice for the screen size, but I may get the 15" AGAIN (like I did when I first had the choice with the C2D) and save the $300 for a LowePro Stealth Reporter, or an external drive.

p.s. Dell has a new tablet that looks interesting: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...topics/en/us/latit_xt_landing?c=us&l=en&s=gen

salmon

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
What's the deal with "collapsable" Ethernet ports?

At the office, most people with laptops don't even bother with the Ethernet port (even with a docking station). One less wire in the office.

It's wireless on the road, at their home, and in the office...

The Ethernet port is already obsolete, even on laptops that have them.

Nintendo with the Wii has started this trend...
My place of employment bans wireless for security reasons. Apple still offers USB modems, so I'm sure they'll keep some option open.

I remember a PCMCIA card from 10 years ago that had a pop-out ethernet port. They could do something similar, but hopefully make it stronger than that was.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
My place of employment bans wireless for security reasons. Apple still offers USB modems, so I'm sure they'll keep some option open.

I remember a PCMCIA card from 10 years ago that had a pop-out ethernet port. They could do something similar, but hopefully make it stronger than that was.

I remember those things... they were the flimsiest of devices for someone on the go. I do hope that if they have to take ethernet out they make a USB dongle for it, rather than an express card adaptor... if they even have an express card slot on it.

Domofloge

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
New Jersey
The biggest reason I haven't got myself a macbook is because it's too big to carry around with me anywhere I go.

I have a Macbook and absolutely think that it is not "too big to carry around" at all. I'm a college student and my laptop goes with me where ever I go and so far, its has not gotten in my way once. It acts as the perfect companion in my opinion: small, light, and awesome all in one! haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.