Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rzdh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Hi all,

I have a 2011 macbook air model that I purchased in August. If it is plugged in it works fine, but yesterday it started dying as soon as I unplug it. I'm not sure what the issue is, here is the battery information:

Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 4872
Fully Charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6117
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 51
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 368
Voltage (mV): 7988

Does anyone have any idea why it might be dying as soon as I unplug it?

I am leaving the country in a few days and really need this laptop. What course of action is there to get this fixed? If I went to an apple store could I get it fixed ASAP?

Thanks everyone!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
This could either be a flakey battery or dead circuitry that connects or regulates the power from the battery to the motherboard. Take it to the Apple store ASAP, as things could even get worse.

rzdh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks a lot. Appointment already booked!

It looks like the battery won't charge beyond 83% either!

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
My guess is the battery is fried. I'm curious if they can replace that in the store. Please let us know how it turns out.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks a lot. Appointment already booked!

It looks like the battery won't charge beyond 83% either!

That sounds bad, let us know what will happen they will probably replace the battery.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Either dead battery or voltage regulator on main board is fried. Hope it's the former.

rzdh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the help. I took my MBA to the apple store like everyone suggested and they opened it up for me. It turns out that the battery had just gotten a little loose. The tech reseated it and now everything works great!!

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
did u subject the air to strong mechanical vibrations or hard knocks that could have dislodge the battery connector?

rzdh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
It gets bumped a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary. It will be interesting to see if this is a recurring thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.