Macbook Air dropped (!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Glennsune, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Glennsune macrumors newbie

Ok ... so, my friend dropped his airbook into his stone floor.

The Air took a solid hit strait at the bottom corner. The computer is working just fine, nothing is broken except the pshysical apperance of course :eek:

Unfortantly he dosen't have any applecare connected to the computer (but applecare dosen't cover these kind of things anyway, or does it?), but he will most certainly get it fixed though his home insurance.

My question is ... there is an opening along the far side of the computer, is there any risk of the electronics inside taking damage from dust, and other things. Maybe he should keep the air at home and not expose it to much until he gets it fixed?

Attached Files:

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Ooch!:(

As long as he is not going to be pouring water into the opening all should be ok. Dust is fine. Maybe not a sand storm, but day to day travel should be ok.
    And, no Apple care would not fix that.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Ohhh bugg*r :(

I wouldn't think a little bit of dust would be a major problem but a small amount of rain certainly could be .. :eek:

I would keep it indoors until the repair is carrier out.

4. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

I bet the repair is going to be almost the cost of a $1349 refurb . . . :eek:

There sure have been lot's of damaged AIRs posted on here lately. :(

5. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

We are not supposed to get exposed to such scary images :eek:

6. n0de macrumors 6502

Assuming all is OK with the internals, and you are afraid to open it up, powerbookmedic.com has both the shell parts you need.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

8. FFTWarren macrumors member

Wow, thats really not cool. take it to a body shop, a lil work with a dent puller and bondo and that baby will be like brand new.:rolleyes:

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Bad luck. It's unfortunately what happens when you make laptops out of 'dead' metals of inadequate rigidity.

As others have said there shouldn't be many problems in using it until it can be repaired / replaced. It might even improve the cooling...

10. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

this probably demonstrates how unibody makes perfect sense? I can't imagine the old macbooks surviving that hit,

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

More likely the other way around. Although the old Macbooks weren't exactly the height of robust build quality either.

12. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

13. dragon01 macrumors member

14. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

I don't think it's wise to try to claim something this small against your home policy. I heard that if you make claims too many times, they will drop you.

15. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

If it were my MBA, I would have a chat over lunch with my insurance agent over a hypothetical computer crash and would it be wise to file a claim. I handled a minor accident my son was involved in this way and I was advised not to file a claim. My agent told me the claim would increase the likelihood of a review due to a previous accident which had been reported. Depending on your friend's history with his carrier, he may come out okay. :D

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was sitting in class banging away on my MBA and the professor was lecturing and as he went into one of his rants, he was making a gesture with his hand and he smacked my MBA and sent it into a fall off of my desk, but I was able to catch it before it struck the ground. He totally apologized, but I'm certain it could have ended up just like the OP's...:eek:

17. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Totally off topic, but that Italian Spiderman is hallarious!

18. FFTWarren macrumors member

yea it is

19. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

20. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

To be honest, a super slim laptop like that will always come out wrecked if it hits a stone floor. That's not really Apple's problem. If anything, the fact the internals are ok is testament to good construction.

If I crash my car, the car should, ideally, be cosmetically wrecked, but keep me safe.

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not my Sony G11 for starters. And that was 200 grams lighter than the Air.

No, this is simply a testament to Apple's obsession with a material not all that suitable to build laptop / chassis' out of for reasons of looks, unifying their manufacturing methods and other reasons which can only work because the vast majority of the rather vacuous users of the company's products don't go 'It's easily damaged, it's crap' but 'It's easily damaged, I'll baby it / spend even more money on third-party accessories trying in vain to protect it'. This works because said third-party accessories serves to... well, accessorise, and that is what the average Apple user loves, or the product is babied because it's much more frequently a less commoditised personal purchase.

To have good structural integrity in the Air there must be more material than there is, which would make it heavier. The same goes for the new MB/MBPs which have adopted the same chassis arrangement. As for impact resistance - forget it. The actual main 'chassis' on the Air - which is the case, the top shell that the keyboard mounts to - is not exactly lightweight when you compare it to chassis' on other better engineered ultralight machines. 'Aircraft-grade' aluminium, even when the block is cold-rolled to the level of relative hardness of the plates that the Macbook Air / MB / MBP chassis are machined from, is still pretty soft - and more importantly, has nothing in the way of being able to 'bounce back' from an impact like say polycarbonate. But sure, I'll give you that it looks better than polycarbonate, moulded mag or thermoplastic short-fibre carbon.

Apple's inferiority in materials / structural & other engineering is not new in the Return of the Jobs era. Take iPods - how long did it take Apple to make a scratch-resistant screen? I had a < 3-year-old Nano until recently which frankly looked like crap, and the material hasn't changed for the Classic - only now they've changed to glass for other machines. In contrast I have a 5-year-old Sony player used in much the same circumstances whose clear plastic panels still look reasonably untouched and a > 2 year old Sony flash player which is three-quarters clear panel and has been treated very badly but still looks a hell of a lot better than the Nano.

Apple of now are excellent designers - that's where they get you. But in reality, they can't engineer worth a **** although they do a superb job of hyping up whatever inadequate but different method they've used, and their products - and their most enthusiastic users - are testament to this.

22. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

23. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oooo that s apretty hard hit, but aside from teh looks i don't htink day to day dust will affect it...

24. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I'm amazed the screen didn't crack/break given the force that caused the metal deformation.

I guess the metal acted as a kind of an airbag for the rest of the unit. I think most computers would have died outright.