Macbook Air Error!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mliuzzolino, Aug 22, 2013.

1. mliuzzolino macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I purchased a new Macbook Air 11" from Bestbuy only about 6 months ago. Last month I installed an update through the Appstore, and immediately following the update the Macbook crashed.

When I restarted the computer, I got the problem of the flashing harddrive with the ? mark. This has become a regular issue (about once per day) and I have to go through a procedure of holding the option key on startup to get to recovery (takes about 30 minutes usually), then turning the computer off and waiting 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it will boot normally, and sometimes I have to do the process again.

It randomly crashes, and it somewhat randomly decides to just turn back on again as if nothing has happened. I have done the complete wipe of the HD and reinstall of the OS twice now, but to no avail.

The most frustrating issue, and what my main question is regarding is this...

Remember, I only purchased this computer about 6 months ago, NEW!!

I called the Apple store in my town, and they have told me that unless I spend $300 on buying 3 year applecare, then they can't help me. I was infuriated - how can I buy a brand new computer for $1300 from a very large and wealthy company, download their update that completely destroys the computer, then have them tell me that I need to pay another $300 before they will even look at it?

I then called the main apple store, and they told me essentially the same thing, only they offered me the 3 year applecare for $180, but it was the same story - they won't help me until I pay additional money.

I've never been so upset with a company, and this just doesn't seem right. Have I just expressed myself inaccurately over the phone? Does anyone else have a similar situation?

I have been in classes and traveling the past two months, but next week I will finally have the chance to go into the store and speak with someone in person - maybe that's been the problem all along.

Does anyone have any advice or insight? This is my first apple, and I can't express enough how utterly disappointed I am in their customer service. Even though I'm a poor student and don't have any money to waste, I'm tempted to just be foolish and chuck this computer in the garbage and never purchase another apple product again. I'm so frustrated.

Any help will be gladly appreciated.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Not sure about Best Buys policy. Don't you go back to them for repairs rather than Apple?

3. robvas macrumors 68020

Apple will cover it if it's only 6 months old.

4. mliuzzolino thread starter macrumors newbie

Bestbuy told me that it's better to deal directly with Apple.

To clarify, this issue occurred around the 3 month mark, and the experiences of my contact with Apple and them telling me they can't help (unless I forfeit more money) wasn't more than 4 months after my purchase - so well within 6 months, and they still refuse to cover it.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure who gave you incorrect information. Applecare should never cost $300 for an Air. That is above retail. Sometimes depot repair is in that range. Is the original warranty not valid for some reason? A machine purchased as new would have a 12 month warranty. I noticed you called them. While I think the policy is ridiculous, complimentary phone service expires after 3 months without applecare. Are you able to drive to the store on a weekend or after work? Both companies (best buy and apple ) have legions of under-trained customer service people. I've had trouble with them too. If they try to deny warranty in store for any reason, ask them the reason. Ideally get it in writing for later reference if possible. Unless it took liquid damage or a direct hit of some kind, you shouldn't be out of warranty. You would as I mentioned be out of the initial phone service period without applecare. Again it's stupid, but combined with a poor explanation on the other end, it might explain your experience.

6. TType85 macrumors newbie

There is a year warranty from apple standard. What does it say when you put your serial number in to this?
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

7. mliuzzolino thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what it says:

Valid Purchase Date

Telephone Technical Support: Expired

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: February 23, 2014

Eligible for the AppleCare Protection Plan

Get the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your hardware repair coverage and add technical support for 3 years from your hardware product purchase date.

----------

Yeah. I don't know why they tried telling me $300, but that was through my local Apple Store. I called Bestbuy initially and briefly explained the issue, and they referred me to the local Apple Store, and that was the first experience I had - in which they told me $300. The rep did sound incredibly under-trained, but when I had called a few days later I experienced the same issue.

When I called the Applecare Center I explained that I didn't really need over-the-phone service, but I just wanted to know if it was true that I needed to buy the extended Applecare even though the computer was brand new (I had assumed the first year was covered).

The computer has experienced zero moisture/spill/drop/etc damage. I have taken exceptional care of it (given my financial situation). I think that you're right and it may be an issue due to the army of under-trained service staff. The problem is that the Apple Store and Bestbuy is about 20 miles away from where I'm at, and I only own a bicycle.

I don't mind the ride, but it would be insanely frustrating, to say the least, if I were to bicycle all the way over there, taking a lot of time out of my research and studying, just to have them tell me they can't help unless I give them the $200. That's why I called them in the first place - to simply find out if they can help me and if I just bring it in, or if I have to make an appointment first, etc.

8. TType85 macrumors newbie

Looks like your warranty is still good, make an appointment at the apple store and take it in. They will probably try to sell you on an Applecare warranty but your still covered.

9. mliuzzolino thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I will just have to face the long bike ride and do this. Thanks for the help!