Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac cymru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
A novice macuser here, but loving it, shame I have to still use Windows, but have to for work purposes, (am a Financial advisor in the UK and all relevent software is written for Windows)

I own both an imac and Macbook Air (1.8, 80GB), and run Vista Ultimate on Bootcamp on both. I wonder why Aero works as it should on the Macbook Air but not on my imac (latest version 20" 2.4GHz) particularly as the specs for the imac are that much higher ?, is it a graphics card issue ?

Vista runs very well indeed and have to say that for all its pitfalls which I know there are many issues, I feel personally it is a better experience than using xp.

Re: the hard drive I opted for the 80GB Pata drive which works very well, I have alot of data for work purposes but use encrypted USB flash drives (Corsair 16 GB and 32GB Flash Voyager models) which work very efficiently and very quick without time lag. My bootcamp drive is 36GB with about 15GB free. I wonder if a larger hardrive becomes available whether it would be possible to change ? just to be minimalist really so I can do without the USB drives.

I would like to that everyone who subscribes to this forum as it is incredibly useful and is making my switch a that much easier and better experience.

macanudo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
No problem, Macrumors is a great resource with lots of nice people (for the most part) that will answer your questions/concerns. Good luck with your MBA!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I've done a little experimenting with mine as there are a few post about overheating and core shutdown just using Youtube or playing video.

I've found that the fan will ramp up all the way quickly which is not the case with my Macbook pro. But the result of this on mine is to effectively keep it cool. I have yet to experience a core shutdown ( I hope it stays this way)

However, it's logical that the thermal characteristics of this design are going to be different than a more 'high performance' machine.

I've found the Air to be fine for most things.

I certainly like using it more than other computers , but it's still the honeymoon

: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.