MacBook Air External DVD on Other Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dpaanlka, Jan 15, 2008.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Simple enough... anyone have any thoughts about the external DVD drive intended for use with the MacBook Air being used on an iMac or something else?

$99 isn't too shabby of a price for something as elegant and nice as it is.

2. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

My only question would be why? I mean, if you just want an extra drive, go ahead, but what improvement would it make? I could be totally wrong here but I think Macs, esp. the iMac, comes with everything you'll need hardware wise.

3. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Same reason you'd get two superdrives in a Mac Pro. You can burn two at once, you can be watching a DVD while ripping a DVD or burning a disk. I find it very helpful.

4. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

True, I didn't really look at it that I way, I though it was mean more using it as your only drive. Misread that one, sorry there ole' chap.

5. nslyax macrumors regular

According to its page on the Apple Store, it requires a MBA, no other computers listed as supported. Not sure if this is true or how it would be enforced.

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

do not be sorry!

7. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

The Air may have a USB port like the current iMacs with slightly higher power output needed to power the drive

Or it may have special firmware limiting its use.

also it looks the same size as an Apple TV which has a USB port - wonder what would happen if the two met?

8. zelman macrumors member

I got my macbook on clearance at my school book store. Unfortunately, it has a combo drive. I would love to use this as an external drive, or even crack it open and install the drive internally if it's the same size.