Macbook Air + External Monitor Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dextr3k, May 22, 2015.

1. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Hi Gang,

I have an Early 2014 13" Macbook air. It is running 10.10.3. I am trying to get it to display 1440p onto my external monitor using a mDP to HDMI adapter. It, however, is stuck at 1080p with no options to go higher.

Here is the kicker, tech specs say that it can achieve this resolution.
    I have another system, a Late 2013 rMBP 13". This system confirms that the cable and monitor both work up to 1440p. Just when I switch systems it goes back to 1080p. So I am pretty sure this is the mba's problem.

Anyone have any insight? :confused:

2. dextr3k thread starter macrumors 6502

I just installed a trial of SwitchResX.....

I can force a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 60Hz

The downside of this, now everything is blurry, like aliasing gone bad. Its even blurrier than when it is running at the non-native 1080p.

I am so confused....

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I think SwitchResX just scales everything to your desired resolution. In other words, it is just zooming the 1080p image larger which explains why it's fuzzy. I played around with that program before, and it creates a virtual screen of whatever size you choose. Then it scales the image to the physical screen. But your computer seems to think your monitor is only capable of 1080p.

Sorry, I can't help with your original problem, don't have any monitors that big myself. My MBA works fine with my ancient Apple Cinema Display at 1200x1920. :)

4. motrek macrumors 68020

If it's a single-link DVI adapter (cost: less than $50) then 1080p is the best you're going to get out of that due to technical limitations.

If it's a dual-link DVI adapter (cost: around $100) then you should get 1440p. But I'm guessing this isn't what you have, since you're not seeing 1440p.

The easiest and best solution is to use a mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort adapter (cost: $10) which will give you 1440p no problem. This is assuming your monitor has a DisplayPort connector. If it doesn't, you're looking at buying a dual-link DVI adapter, sorry.

5. dextr3k thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a mDP to HDMI adapter. So no single or double differentiation. The problem is, the seller I bought it from states that it can support up to 4k resolutions. And I know that it will output 1440p to that monitor using my rMBP. So I am not sure why the mba is giving me problems.

The monitor doesn't have a DP. dvi,hdmi,vga only

6. avemestr macrumors regular

Is dextr3k and tisahobbtp the same person?

Also, I would probably help, if you told what monitor you're using.

And what it is you have bought (the MBA or the monitor).

7. motrek macrumors 68020

Oh, sorry. I mis-read and thought you were using DVI.

HDMI is a non-starter.

HDMI 2.0 is required to support anything higher than 1080p and that's a relatively recent standard that very few computers support. The 2014 MBA does not support it.

So it's not the MBA that's giving you problems, it's functioning exactly as it should. And it certainly can drive a 1440p monitor if you use the right connector.

To get 1440p you will either need to use DisplayPort or Apple's $99 adapter that converts Thunderbolt to dual-link DVI. And since your monitor doesn't have DisplayPort it sounds like the latter is your only option.