MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1 - Causes MBA to freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JesseP., Oct 29, 2013.

1. JesseP. macrumors newbie

Like many others I had to install the Macbook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.1. Once I hit the update button, the installation process started. However, the MBA didn't boot after the installation. So I'm not sure whether the update succeeded or not, although the update is listed in the System Information -> Software -> Installations, it seems to confirm a successful installation. After the update my MBA started to freeze occasionaly and some other issues started to occur, see list of issues below.

I decided to install Mavericks, which succeeded after 3 attempts. After installation the system still wasn't running smooth. Disk utility said "Incorrect number of file hard links", I repaired the disk and it still says there are no issues with the disk. Please note I'm not using FileVault. I can't really work on my Mac after installing the flash update, issues are:

- while moving the mouse, the rainbow wheel appears;
    - computer freezes out of nothing, which requires a hard-reboot;
    - Skype logs out frequently saying: "Unable to sign in due to a disk I/O error";
    - using TimeMachine results in a frozen MBA;
    - using VirtualBox causes the MBA to freeze.

I'm thinking of re-installing the flash storage update, but it's not possible since the manual installation says "This computer does not need this update". Also, the Console application doesn't report any issues related to the issues, which might be logical since the OS can't write log messages to the disk when it freezes.

How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance.

2. macgeek88 Suspended

I'm wondering if your system needs a new SSD... That said it sounds hardware in nature but you could try doing your SMC reset.

I'd call Apple or bring it in to a Service Provider or Retail Store and my guess is they will replace your drive. That said, I'd definitely assume it's hardware. JMO anyway.

3. JesseP. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I tried to reset the SMC as well, not the desired result though.

I'm wondering if my SSD needs a replacement, I know Apple launched a replacement program. Weird thing is, that the firmware update first checks if your SSD is affected, if not it will install the update. It did install the update which indicates the SSD is not affected according to the update.. However problems start occurring after installing the firmware update.

I scheduled an appointment with a genius. To be continued..