Macbook Air For College Student

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jw nyc, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Would the Macbook Air 13" (4GB RAM & 2.13 GHz) be a good computer for a freshman business student?

2. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

I don't see why not, depends really if you use resource demanding apps like Photoshop, After Effects, etc., but it will run Office or iWork just fine. It has a good battery life to so you can take it with you at courses, and it's very light so carrying it won't be a problem.
    What's are your other options? The 13'' MBP is a great laptop also.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

For a business student, it should be fine. Office 2011 and iWork will run fine on it, as will iTunes and Safari. It even handles Windows 7 well in Parallels.

4. rubberwheels macrumors member

I'm a college student and i love using this macbook air for class and papers. everything runs fine and im just using the base 11".

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You would likely be better off with a more upgradeable computer, since you will likely want a machine that will last 4+ years, and without being able to upgrade RAM, the MBA will be quite slow in just a few years.

TEG

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Ask yourself two questions:

1) Will I be downloading allot of T.V. shows and movies onto my laptop.

2) Will I be encoding videos regularly and using processor intensive applications for more than an hour a day?

If you answered "no" to both of these then the Air is an easy decision. Grab a DVD drive for your odd program and DVD rentals. Grab two 500 GB external harddrives if you plan on accruing gobs of digital media (then partition them both at something like 350/150 GB, the larger for two time machine backups and smaller for duplicate media dumps).

The mobility of the Air really is amazing.

7. centymeat macrumors member

The speed, mobility will be awesome.

However, a lot of collage students are into gaming, tv shows, movies, hard drive space might be an issue unless you consider an external.

For work wise, i don't see why it won't be sufficient.