Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi guys,

I want to buy Macbook Air.
If I will buy it in store, what do I have to show for them, that I'm in college to get that discount and/or giftcard?
I mean I just finished Year 11 and I got letter that I'm accepted at that college, but also I have ID from that college from part time courses which I was doing past year.

Thanks!

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
I'm not sure

here in Denmark i got an official student ID card i can show..

but i guess you can call your local store ? :)

jmfel1926

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
I'm not sure

here in Denmark i got an official student ID card i can show..

but i guess you can call your local store ? :)

i bought my Macbook air 2012 3 weeks ago from a premium reseller in GREECE and i only showed the pdf that showed that i was accepted in a Masters Program in Sweden. they fotocopied the paper and i had the discount.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Hi guys,

I want to buy Macbook Air.
If I will buy it in store, what do I have to show for them, that I'm in college to get that discount and/or giftcard?
I mean I just finished Year 11 and I got letter that I'm accepted at that college, but also I have ID from that college from part time courses which I was doing past year.

Thanks!

You can also order online, if you google you can find the right URL for your Uni and I believe by ordering online you'll get the 3 years AppleCare repair warranty included, which you don't get if you buy in store?

I ordered an MBA using the OU one in that manner (husband works for the OU and is also doing a masters there part time), a friends daughter ordered hers that way as she's just finished year 11 to go to Uni in sept too.

Keep your proof just incase they ask for it, but they've not requested it for either of us yet.

If you buy a standard spec you'll probably have it next day. I just went for the RAM upgrade and mine's waiting to board a flight from china :)

quactaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
I'm assuming you mean a 6th form college?

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000210

These are the discounts available to you as a 6th former.

If possible, it's far better to get a friend or family member at a university to buy the machine for you. This gets you a better discount (the entry Macbook Air 11 inch is just ~£730, for example) and you get 3 years of applecare for free.

You can also go to an apple store and show your letter of acceptance to them. That might be a better route as you can sometimes impress or sweet talk to the staff to stretch for a full university discount. You won't get the 3 years applecare that way, but you won't get that on the 6th form website either.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
I'm not going to the 6th form, I wasn't accepted there. :mad: Too much people...

I'll be going to Regional College but It should be the same.

So I will get that gift card anyway?

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
I was just thinking, if I'd buy Macbook Air and get that gift card. Redeem it and buy some apps, and if I see that I don't like it and I need more power return it in 14 days.
What will be happening with that Gift Card? They will take out of MBA's price or something?

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I was just thinking, if I'd buy Macbook Air and get that gift card. Redeem it and buy some apps, and if I see that I don't like it and I need more power return it in 14 days.
What will be happening with that Gift Card? They will take out of MBA's price or something?

You get charged £70 for the card. £70 then gets taken off the price of the mac.

Spoonz

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
UK Uni student here. If you haven't bought it already, don't.

You get a better discount if you buy it through a university/similar educational institute - the discount is *not* the same if you buy it with college ID. Its not a huge difference % wise, but when you're spending that amount of money its worth it if you can find someone who is at uni and will buy it for you.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

You don't have to take the giftcard. Also, if you accept it, you don't have to redeem it straight away, hold onto it until you're sure you want to keep the machine. That way you're not jumping through hoops if you send it back, because, believe me, you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.