MacBook Air For Final Cut Pro X In The Long Run (4K)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ooans, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ooans macrumors 6502

Hey,

I need to get a laptop to run Final Cut Pro X and am wondering if a MBA (2013) will be enough for it. For now and also the future.

Incase everyone will edit 4K video in the future, will a 2013 MBA be able to do that?

I dont mind if exporting takes 10-15-30 minutes longer or such, but only that the program itself will work fluidly.

I already have FCPX on my 2008 MBP and eventhough officially it is supported with the latest (essential!) patches the program has become too heavy to run on it. This is very irritating. I'm fearing that if a get a 2013 MBA it will NOW run FCXP fine, but in a couple years I will not be able to update the program without fearing it becoming too heavy for the laptop (and thus possibly missing some good features.)

Would getting a to-be-announced Haswell 13" rMBP possibly be a better option for me?

I know no one has absolute answers for this question knowing that no one knows what happens in the future, but any ideas? Thanks!

Or what about Adobe Premier? Is it heavier than FCPX?

I searched the forum for similar threads, but none of them addressed the exact same problem as mine.

2. zedsdead, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

zedsdead macrumors 68040

If Final Cut and 4k are you concern, go with a 15" pro because they are quad core and have dedicated graphics.

The Air can run FCP, but for heavy use and future applications the MBP will be much better.

3. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

No. The 2013 MBA doesn't have a graphics card. It won't be able to pull 4k. I second motion what zedsdead said, get a 15" rMBP, those are the only ones with the power to sustain a 4k display.

But honestly, by the time 4k becomes available for professional applications, even the current rMBP maybe a bit old, will support it, but there will be something better out there from Apple by then.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

The Macbook Air does alright with 1080P HD but there is no way it will handle 4k video editing. But I wouldn't worry about that. 4k is still a long way off for consumer products, you won't see it in widespread use for at least 5 years and by then the MBA will be obsolete anyway.

5. johnjey macrumors regular

I ran Final Cut Pro X on 11' 2013 i5 Air for just 5 mins and don't see any problems. However this is not to conclude anything as i still have to LEARN to operate this software to deliver meaningful results