MacBook Air for Final Cut Pro X

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Power Macintosh, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Power Macintosh macrumors member

Power Macintosh

Final Cut Pro X is a very processor intense application and space taking.

So, will it be the i7 11 Inch MacBook Air or 13 Inch Standard?

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

3. mBox macrumors 68020

Ive had em all on prev offerings.
    Next would be rMBP for me.
    In the end, for me nothing beats the Mac Pro Im using at work :)

4. wildgiles macrumors member

Go for the 13" if those are your only options, mostly due to the screen size, to be honest I would be pulling my hair out on anything less than a 15" screen.

5. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Will you ever dock to an external monitor? CPU would be nice but not at the expense of your sanity working in a tiny area.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you have to go with an Air ... 13". I would get a MBP because the Air is one of the slowest computers to run FCP X, everything will take a long time to render simply put.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Ideally, you want something with discrete graphics for FCP X. FCP X relies heavily on OpenCL and the integrated Intel chipsets found in Airs and 13" MBPs don't really do it much justice.

Secondly, it's pretty tough to work on a modern NLE with the limited native resolution provided by 13" and smaller screens. You'd be itching to connect an external monitor for real editing sessions.

8. Power Macintosh thread starter macrumors member

Power Macintosh

Oh dear. I have a huge 30 minute project comming soon and I haven't even picked a computer yet. My Core 2 Duo isn't going to cut it. I was editing a 5 minute video and you can't believe how much pain and waiting it took me to finish. But I am willing to trade screen size for performance. After all, I'm just doing the color correction, and some occasional photo slide shows on AE and Motion.

9. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

The new 13 mba and mbp are similar machines. The macbook air has a higher resolution screen which will help out a little bit. I have a 13" mbp 2.3 i5 and the screen is difficult to edit on. For basic edits its okay at best, but anything involving lots of clips and adjustments you will really want a second monitor. For example, if you have your inspector window open, it shrinks the size of the events window so you can't read any clips. Then you have to close the inspector window and then drag the events clip over to see the list clearly.

Also, color correction in FCPX causes a lot of rendering. For this you will wish you had the 15" mbp. Look for a late 2011 or an early, high-end 2011 model. This will give you a dedicated graphics card, a larger screen, and a quad core processor that will really help you out.

But, in all honesty, you could get by with a mba or a 13" mbp and an external monitor. Just make sure they have at least 8gb of ram for fcpx and don't edit from a slow external USB 2.0 drive.

10. MrMacMini macrumors regular

I went from a 24" iMac Duo Core (2009) to a 13" MBP. Took a lil getting used to but I wouldnt change my decision for anything. Cant beat the performance and portability of the MBP. Been doing a lot of FCPX projects for work and the MBP is awesome!

11. will waters macrumors regular

Get a MBP, i have used the 2012 MBA for the occasional edit and i can say that it struggles to cut the mustard

I would go with the MBP and a cheap external monitor...

Will

12. Sythas macrumors 6502a

Sythas

And when everyone say go get a MBP, they want to say the 15 inch one, because the 13 inch is just like the air in performance.....

So if you are tight on budget, but want a good apple puter, the best under $1,500 is the imac at $1,200

13. will waters macrumors regular

Yeah I agree,if you do not need portability go with a desktop

14. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Even if you do need portability get an iMac @ $1199 and an iLugger for $149!

iMac = Quad core processor, 7200 RPM drive, 21" screen... same price as a 13" MBA or MBP...

15. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I edit all day long on the 2011 11" MBA - it is surprisingly good - the only bad parts happen when I do 3D rendering - simply not enough horse power - but beyond that any 2012 MacBook Air should do the job - of course with that said a MacBook Pro would do the job faster.