Macbook Air for programming?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Dekard, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Anyone using a MB Air for programming? I have a rMBP for work, but I'd like to leave it in my bag when I get home because it's a little bulky, was thinking about getting a 13 inch Macbook Air but I didn't think you could really see well enough to code long hours on it because the screen is a bit cramped for Xcode screens..

Anyone out there doing it and have tips? I'd like to have a lighter weight option to sit on the couch with the misses and be able to do some work without having my 15 incher out..

2. firewood macrumors 604

I've developed several iOS apps an MBA 11, no big problems. Let's me code out on the deck or in the park. Much better than being stuck at a desk when the weathers nice.

Using multiple desktop spaces and keyboard shortcuts to open and close Xcode assistants helps keep the display uncluttered.

3. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

I do a lot of programming on laptops and to be honest, I prefer an 11" MBA to a 15" HP Envy with Visual Studio (I also use Xamarin) because by using spaces, you can really separate your tasks (space 1 for Xcode, space 2 for testing, space 3 with a browser, etc...).

Of course, I'm much more productive with dual 27" screens but on the road, a MBA is the perfect coding machine.

4. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

I use an 11" MacBook air for programming and it works just fine. And I don't even have any external monitors to occasionally connect it to.

5. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I can program on a MBA. Operative word being "can". But I am 2x more productive with a USB keyboard, mouse, and two external monitors with my iMac ;)

6. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Ditto.
    I really love my 27'' iMac and at home when I have to work I plug a 23'' monitor and use a keyboard.

11'' Air is ok if I need to work for a couple of hours, no more. It's really convenient since is light and tiny, but I wouldn't use it to work for the whole day long.

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It should be fine to program on an MBA.

8. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Its what I started with and i still use it on the road when traveling.

I do suggest getting a 24-27inch monitor to connect it to when possible. coding isnt too bad but testing and designing can get rough on the air screen.