Macbook air for web development when on the road

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Shredder-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Shredder- macrumors regular

I got a 2015 15" MBP as my main workhorse, however, as I'm traveling roughly three days a week id like to buy something portable that I can do web dev on.

Which is the earliest (read: cheapest but somewhat powerful) macbook air i can get away it. The only plan for this macbook air would be to do web dev / internet browsing, nothing fancy. I just need something that I can bring in my bag, and I don't wanna carry around the 15" while on the road

2. lpolarityl, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

lpolarityl macrumors 6502

lpolarityl

This looks like a conversation between you and someone else that somehow got posted as a thread (hah).
    But to answer your question (I'm guessing), a MacBook Air would certainly be great for your needs.

3. Shredder- thread starter macrumors regular

The question is not if, but which macbook air :)

4. kreasonos macrumors regular

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to carry around a 15" on the go. I have always found Apple's newest version of the 15" MBP to be too big in terms of form factor. If all your doing is programming in VS Code and uploading to Github I don't see why the 8gb/256 model wouldn't be just fine. I would not splurge on storage because iCloud is implemented very well on this latest version of Mac OS. I can do some VS Code/Git tests for you if you like. lmk

5. yngwietiger macrumors newbie

Depends on what all you're running.

I have a 2012 MBA with 128GB SSD/4GB RAM (A1466), and it's fine for any home side programming I do. And that includes running IntelliJ. 8 GB of RAM would be better, though.