Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
I have a mid-2011 13" MacBook Air purchased in December, 2011 from Apple.

The past few days I've noticed this fraying on the tip of the adaptor. The wire is now exposed. I remember this being an issue on older MacBook cables, but hasn't this been resolved? I don't use my cable in any "abnormal" situations. It barely leaves the house.

My MBA is covered by Apple Care. Any chance this is covered?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 327

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I have a mid-2011 13" MacBook Air purchased in December, 2011 from Apple.

The past few days I've noticed this fraying on the tip of the adaptor. The wire is now exposed. I remember this being an issue on older MacBook cables, but hasn't this been resolved? I don't use my cable in any "abnormal" situations. It barely leaves the house.

My MBA is covered by Apple Care. Any chance this is covered?

Black electrical tape would save a trip to the store.

BradClarke

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Black electrical tape would save a trip to the store.
Bring it to the apple store to have it replaced, they should do a product swap out. Dont put electrical tap on it, this will only last so long before the cable gives out, and most likely this will happen out of warranty.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Bring it to the apple store to have it replaced, they should do a product swap out. Dont put electrical tap on it, this will only last so long before the cable gives out, and most likely this will happen out of warranty.
It depends what went wrong. Did the outside covering become brittle and crack? The wires inside the cover experienced the same wear/bending and they appear unaffected. Additionally, the pictured cable does not look at all like the cable I have. At work, I've been using the same cable with my 2012 MBA that I used with my 2011 MBA. I simply bought an adapter. Plus the Apple Charger has a 1 year warranty, which in this situation, has expired.

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
Yes, they'll definitely replace it for you. They also replace the usb to lightning/ 30 pin cord and the headphones as well. They'll do some tests with the laptop cord but the other two, they swap without asking many questions if any.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
As an update for any experiencing similar problems, the Apple Store replaced the adapter for me without charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.