macbook air future of notebook not today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Feb 26, 2011.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

i am very surprised that all of the macbook pro configurations still have moving parts/optical drive and standard hd. after the macbook air one more thing i thought the apple notebook line was moving to more air like, with the exception of maybe a high end 15 and 17. anyone else surprised? what does the future hold for the mac notebook?

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I was surprised at the lack of standard SSDs of 128GB. Although, considering the 128GB SSD is a 100 dollar upgrade, it's not too bad.

I'm also disappointed that changing the optical drive for a second hard disk wasn't an option. Although that would require Apple to build two cases, one with disk hole, and one without.

But considering the quads, and the amazing GPU, I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm complaining.

I'll be ordering a 15" 2.2 quad, 6750M and 128GB SSD very soon.

3. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. alexandero macrumors regular

Probably not before Ivy Bridge, as the reduced watts will make a new chassis that's more air-like possible. Aka we'll have to wait until early 2012.

What I'm hoping for next release: SDD replacing HDDs, removal of the optical drive, a fast GPU in the 13", anti-glare high-res screens also available for the 13", a battery life of 8-10 hours, a chassis that's not running hot (these new 45W quad cores plus 20W (?) GPU must run very hot when under high load), and less weight.

Guess I'm looking for something that's right between the Pro and the Air series.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Usually when I see threads complaining about new models, I chalk it up to folks who had an unrealistic expectation, especially in light of apple's M.O of incremental updates.

With that said, I think this was one of those times that people were rightfully expecting apple to produce a laptop that everyone was expecting. Either stock SSDs for the OS, or no optical drive, or what ever.

I have a 2010 MBP so there's no way that I'm even tempted for a new MBP, as my current one is more then sufficient for my needs. Still I was hoping that apple would produce something that was not just catching up but pushing the envelope as they did with the MBA

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

+1

My 13" 2010 MB will last me until the Ivy Bridge update. Just think
    > new chassis
    > quad core in the 13"
    > ssd standard
    > dedicated gpu
    > MBA screen res
    > Lion

*has a nerd-gasm*