Macbook Air Gaming

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Hi all :)
Just before I start, please don't bombard me messages telling me to buy an alienware or what not, just because I want to play some games on a mac. I've been using mac hardware since the green/blue iMac (G3 I think), and I have my own reasons for using OSX.

Now that that's out of the way, can somone who owns a MBA 2012 tell me what the performance is like when you play older games from the PS2 gen? I know the MBA can even handle stuff like Battlefield 3 on low graphics, but I want to know specifically what it is like to play older games. Does the fan still spin at super spead and the machine get terribly hot, or can I play ps2 gen games confortably on my lap etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
I play Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on my 2012 Air which is a PS2 generation game (although it only came out on Xbox originally). It runs really well but the fan does kick in and the machine gets hot. I was worried at first but people told me not to be worried so I stopped. I just found a box to put between my lap and the Air which was fine. A lap desk would work as well. Hope that helps.

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Taichung, Taiwan
I've been playing WoW and TF2. You may not get the best graphics, but it seems to play fine. TF2 with recommended graphics had a bit of stutter, so I had to turn the graphics down, cause stutter in FPS = bad.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Can we get two new stickies - "Macbook Air Gaming" and "Should I upgrade my RAM"? Those are the only two topics anybody wants to know about, apparently.

dwburnell

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
I just downloaded team fortress 2 and I play Starcraft 2 on low graphics. All run well, just don't look as good as a higher end graphics card.

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
I just started playing Half Life 2 on my 2012 11" Air. It runs fine at 2560x1440 !
That would be a bit of a suprise since the monitor doesn't support that resolution. You would be playing in Retina+ mode on a 11" with that resolution ;)