MacBook Air glossy v. MacBook Pro glossy question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ValientHimself, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ValientHimself macrumors member

I currently use as my primary computer a first generation base model MacBook Air. It's not getting the job done anymore for what I need it to do, so I am looking to upgrade to a MBP.

The base model 13inch Pro seems fully capable for my needs, but I am concerned about the "glassy" screen. I know Apple lists the Air as having a glossy screen as well, but I have none of the problems with reflections with it that people seem to have with the Pro's glossy screen.

So, I'm asking for opinions on the differences between the glossy screen on the Air and the Pro. If the glossy screen on the Air doesn't bother me, would the same be true for the Pro? Is the one on the Pro worse?

Thanks for any answers. I've been to the Apple Store to try to determine in person, but it's hard to tell screen quality in such a setting.

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Im pretty sure the screen on the MBP is different than on that of the Air. I have a glossy right now and Im getting sick of it. Gonna sell and get a matte as soon as I can.

The best thing for you to do is go into the apple store and compare the two for awhile, playing the same movies and viewing the same sites/images. Thats what I did.

Also have a read through this thread, its helpful: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=898882

3. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

At the Apple store, the Air seem to have ant-glare properties to the point I wasn't sure if it was glossy or not. It must be different than the MBP glossy.

4. ValientHimself thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know the screens and degrees of glossiness are different between the Air and Pro, I was just wondering if there was anyone that had experience with working with both, that could provide some input on how much worse (or better) the glossy screen on the Pro is.

If I can handle the glossy screen on the Air without a problem, would the same be true for the Pro? From what I saw in the Apple store, I definitely have my concerns, but the lighting in there was also pretty weird.

5. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

The MBP screen is MUCH glossier. When I am outside on campus my brightness has to be all the way up, which sucks because that kills my battery.