Macbook Air Good As Main Computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DblEGT, Jun 23, 2013.

1. DblEGT macrumors member

I will be using my new 2013 Macbook Air i5/8/256 as my main computer. Probably the most taxing thing I do is convert large audio files to other formats, but not too often. Mostly web, playing music, watching YouTube videos, AirPlaying movies onto my Apple TV, etc.

Is my configuration enough (i think it is) to keep this new laptop relevant for the next 4 years? Would love to hear your opinions/experience. Wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, and by the way, this is my first Mac. Too many years on the PC side. :).

Anyway, let me know your thoughts! Any and all are welcome!

Thanks

2. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

I've decided to make it my main computer, replacing a 2011 base model 21.5" iMac. It'll be a little faster and with a 24" external HD monitor, wireless keyboard and trackpad, I'm not expecting to notice a huge difference in my daily routine.

3. DblEGT thread starter macrumors member

Just wondering, do you have some sort of docking station with that ext monitor, or do you have to plug it in each time after you come back with the laptop?

----------

Im also wondering how much of a difference your i7 will really make in the real world (normal, everyday use) vs my i5 ?

4. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

No docking station. I have a 7-port USB hub for my peripherals (gigabit ethernet adapter, external drive, iphone cord, etc.) so I'll have to plug in the thunderbolt/display port cord, a single USB cord and the power cord when I get back to my desk. But I'm not bringing it with me every day. Maybe 2-3 days a week.

There are several threads on i7 vs. i5, so I'd point you to those. You'll find there are two schools of thought.

5. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

It my main one. No regrets at all. I turned my old Windows system into a media server.

6. DblEGT thread starter macrumors member

That sounds like it works well enough. Maybe one day I'll do the same.

7. flight macrumors regular

It looks like the Air is a good candidate as a main computer for these uses. My Air isn't my most powerful computer, but its portability has made it my main computer. Previously, my main computer was the iPad.

8. DblEGT thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, its amazing what can be done on the ipad alone. Which is why Im always asking why do so many people feel the need (me included :p) to have such a powerful computer to mostly surf the web?? :eek: