MacBook Air - good deal at refurb store. Should I go for it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Love, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I'm looking at a 1st generation MacBook Air.

I know this model has had lots of issues, but would a macbook air that's refurbished be maybe more reliable? Would it be a good idea to get a MacBook Air? I know it has a reduction compared to regular Macs but I do like the thin form factor. I don't mind the lack of ODD and other stuff, but would it be a good idea to spend $100 more on a Unibody? I really do like the MBA.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd spend the extra $100 and go for the unibody MacBook. For me, the Air is just too limited.

3. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

Ah, I see. Any words about reliability and issues with the 1stgen MBA?

4. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

The mb is a better value. Its faster, has a longer battery life, the same footprint as the air (virtually), the mulitouch trackpad, etc.

The only real benefit of the air is its weight (3 lbs). Compared to the 4.5 lbs of the macbook, I would ask myself, "is the 1.5 lbs really worth downgrading the laptop?" It really all depends on who you are and what you do with your mac. Since I don't know you situation I can't offer any advice, but I will say that the 2.0 unibody macbook is one of the most endorsed machines on this forum.

+1 macbook (cause most of us don't have infinite funds... did you ever think of that infinite loop? :rolleyes:)

5. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Check the air forums, they discuss a lot of hardware problems there. In a nutshell, a significant number of people have reported fan issues, hinge issues & slower performance (the whitebooks & blackbooks are faster). Imo, the air was designed to work with the SSD, using a normal hard drive can cause some of the stated problems

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the rev. a 1st gen macbook air which is being sold at the moment in the refurb store had heating problems which would make it shut down. If feasible I would suggest paying more to get the Rev. B with its more efficient 45nm CPU and Nvidia graphics. you'll have more fun with it and keep it longer.

If not, like the others say the macbook is a great choice. :)

7. Cems84 macrumors newbie

I see the MacBook Air being discontinued soon (2 years soon) unless they lower the price dramatically. Since it's been out I have only seen one person using it in public. It's just not worth it when you could get a better performing laptop that is still small for a little more.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The first mac commandment, from a buddy of mine that has been using them since the challenger shuttle blew up:

"THOU SHALT NOT BUY A VERSION A."

The overheating issues and graphics card would make the first gen MBA a non choice for me. I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of the MBA versus the MB, etc. I would suggest a quick search on the MBA forums to see what people who have actually used that model think about it.

If you do buy that model, make danged sure you get applecare for it.

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Go for it if your just email web basics you can even do some iLife. Go for the SSD 64GB if you can its worth it!

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If that's all he's doing, any late model 12" g4 laptop will do the same, just max the ram out.