macbook air good enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sendaii, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Sendaii macrumors member

Thinking about purchasing a 13-inch macbook air for programming, using Sublime Text as well as Xcode.
    Do you think the macbook air has sufficient enough power? And what, if any, upgrades should I add to it before ordering?

2. virulent macrumors newbie

it's way more than enough.

if you searched you'd probably find everyone screams "8GB RAM !!!" so you probably want to go for that. as a developer myself also it's easy to use up 8 GB if you really want to and it's not as constricting as 4.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're only planning on running 1VM at a time, or just xcode, 4gb is fine. You'll start to run into trouble if you have Photoshop, a web server, iTunes, and a VM with Visual Studio all going at once though.

From personal experience :D

Keep in mind, if you want to use an emulator (Android or WP) that's going to use another 1gb+ of RAM. If you're using it for "enterprise" work, with large projects and 100000+ of lines of code, you'll probably want more... everything.

And if you plan on doing anything related to Android development, you'll want a 32-core Mac Pro from 2016.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Yes, it's more than sufficient. Go get it! :)

5. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I love my MBA 13". I just wish I got a bigger HDD as I got the 128GB. The 256GB HDD would be the best if you are going to have a VM copy on your machine.

I also went with the 8GB of RAM. The reason I got is because I usually run, Xcode, Calendars, Mail, Reminders, Messages, Safari (or Chrome), iTunes, DropBox, ColorPicker, and Box all at the same time. Though right now I have iTunes off and watching Netflix on my external monitor as I do my web development for my personal site as it is my time to relax on Saturday.

Yes, the MBA is amazing. I just recommend 8GB of RAM and 256GB HDD (SSD). i7 isn't worth it.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

You mite want to check out the refurbished MBA's , you can save allot of money

7. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

sometimes i'm using xcode with MBA air (4GB/128GB) and all is fine.
    but, when u come with 8GB ram is better.

8. kelon111 macrumors 6502

I remember writing programs on a desktop with a Pentium 4 processor. A fancy 2013 MacBook Air with its Haswell based Intel CPU , SSD , etc. should have no issues with basic programming unless you are doing something wrong.

9. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I saved 40$ going this route and got a higher specced then I wanted.

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

You mean I don't need a quad core CPU to run bash? I started coding on a Heathkit breadboard with 512 bytes RAM, LOL. :)

[​IMG]

On topic, I've done OS X and iOS programming on 2GB and 4GB machines without RAM-related issues. Heck, I have more Xcode-related issues than anything.

11. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Remember the Radio Shack TRS-80

12. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Well , I started out with C and then went to Intel ASM.
    You probably are quite old if you used the Heathkit breadboard.
    I don't think any universities in modern times use that to teach programming.

A Pentium 4 based computer is still acceptable for quite a few programming tasks which is why some schools still use them.

----------

OP , why don't you consider the Retina model? The screen is a lot better.

13. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Well? Did you pull the trigger?

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I used to hit radio shack on Saturday afternoons after paying off my paper route and practice my BASIC programming skills on the model I and model III (64K! 2! Floppy drives! TRS-DOS!) computers.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here - the good ol' days :D

OP, did you take the plunge with the MBA, as others stated that would be more then enough machine for your needs.

16. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

It was my technical high school electronics track where I used the heathkit. :) the breadboard was straight ASM, entered in hex.

----------

Amazing what 36 years has given us in tech breakthroughs.

17. Sendaii thread starter macrumors member

I decided to go with the base 13inch model, with only 4gb of RAM. I hope that's enough, but so far it's going smoothly. I haven't started listening to iTunes yet while working though. That'll be the real test I think.

18. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

iTunes use around 65mb...I think you'll be fine. ;)

19. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Think we're showing some age :cool: Oh yea Dual Floppy's Amber Screen and a 20 Meg HD was 500 dollars . Ok didn't mean to steal the thread.

LOTS of new refurbs posted today, picked up " I think " a sweet deal on a 13" MBA, 8GB, 256 Flash Drive.

TO OP you have 14 days guy

20. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Post updates of your experience to share with others that mite be in the same boat. :cool:

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

The real test would be to run lots of media apps simultaneously.
    Itunes is not going to make a difference.
    Besides that you will be very happy with the base mba. We have one, too and its very snappy. Enjoy!