Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I have a 2013 MacBook Air, 13-inches, with upgraded RAM and 256-gigs memory. I paid $1500 for it brand new a year ago.

On Sunday the computer started acting weird and would go dark after random periods of time, none longer than an hour and most within 2 to 3 minutes, sometimes immediately. It's basically non-usable.

I took it to the Apple Store and the very nice Genius tried to run tests but the tests failed because it went dark. After opening it last night they said it has possible liquid damage, which is bizarre to me because I would know if liquid got into my Air. There are 2 adults in my home and no children. It has a password so I am the only user. I'm completely puzzled.

Today I went and looked at it. I saw the dried liquid, which was brownish in color, but I questioned whether it was liquid at all--some sort of electronic leakage maybe??? An even nicer Genius said he would submit it to their Repair Center recommending it be covered under warranty, because the liquid damage is "minimal" (his words). But he warned that the Repair Center could say it's not covered and charge me $755 to fix it.

Would you pay that much to fix a 1-year old MacBook Air that cost $1500?

I was already thinking my next laptop would be a MacBook Pro so I feel foolish putting more money into my Air.

I don't know what to do. I feel like that's too much money.

A 3rd party repair place said they could do it for $350, but would you trust them?

What to do???

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Crappy situation. The conspiracy theorist in me would question what the Genius Bar people did when they opened it, especially since you said that there's no way you spilled anything on/in it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have seen two different MacBooks that had liquid damage, where nothing was spilled into, or on the MacBooks. Both had almost the same circumstances, and were left on some kind of snack/tray table, with slightly raised edges, and both had liquid spilled on the tray surface, leaving a small pool, enough to seep into the cooling vents in the hinge area of the MacBooks of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.