Macbook Air Hinge annoyance

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dr.No07, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.No07 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought a macbook air (2011 edition) last year in september and have experienced a small annoyance ever since. Whenever I want to open or close the lid, I can hear a small "crack/creak/pop/..." (however you want to call it)
    It doesn't do this every time, but when I leave it on my desk for an hour and come back later, it most likely will...

Is it normal for a MBA to experience this on opening/closing ?
    Or should it be completely silent when doing this ?

Now of course this noise itself doesn't really bother me. (although it feels pretty cheap, considering this is the most expensive notebook I've ever bought)
    I'm just worried that some day I might have a severe issue with the screen or hinge because of this getting worse. I really wouldn't be able to pay a lot of money for a repair.

Also, taking it to the local Apple Store isn't really an option as well, considering it is far away and I bought it from a local shop (not really an "apple store")...

Any advice ?

Thanks in advance !

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Did you buy it from an Apple Authorized Reseller?

Is it still under warranty?

If it is, you may be able to convince them to replace the display clamshell (which includes the hinge assembly) under warranty. Especially if you can demonstrate the issue to them.

If you are out of warranty, you could (in order of my recommendation) hire an AASP or Apple to replace the display clamshell, likely at a minimum cost of $350USD

Hire an general (not certified technician) to replace the display clamshell and an unknown cost.

Replace the display clamshell yourself at an unknown cost.

3. skuid87 macrumors regular

I had the same problem but it wasnt as frequent as you described.

Luckily, mine was still under warranty. Took it into Apple Store, and even though I couldn't replicate the problem for them, they were still kind enough to replace the whole top cover including display (It's all one unit).

Only got it back yesterday so it might be too early to say its resolved, but I havent had any issues since.

4. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Have not noticed this on my MBA. Depending on how you purchased it i.e. is your local shop a certified reseller, you should sill be covered by applecare. I would have them look at it and have the issue documented at the very least. If the drive is too long they may allow a mail in repair.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.