Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsmith221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
My 1st gen macbook air (2008 model) cracked it's hinge (plastic piece connected to hinge) about a year ago. Only recently did i learn this is a common problem that can be fixed. But since mine is quite old i'm a bit concerned that they will not fix it.

will apple fix it?
can i buy a new plastic piece and fix it myself?
What are my other options? i'd hate to trash this thing, its still very nice otherwise.

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Since no one in the forum can give you a definitive answer, why not call or take it to your local Apple store and ask them? They're the ones who can give you your answer.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
You said it "can be fixed," are you implying this is a defect that Apple know about and will fix for free? If so, like with the white MacBook palm rest, they should do it as long as it's no older than five years.

johnsmith221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Since no one in the forum can give you a definitive answer, why not call or take it to your local Apple store and ask them? They're the ones who can give you your answer.

I was hoping not waste my time in the store if someone on here has been through the same issue... why do you assume no one can give me an answer?

----------

You said it "can be fixed," are you implying this is a defect that Apple know about and will fix for free? If so, like with the white MacBook palm rest, they should do it as long as it's no older than five years.

Thanks i always heard 1 or 3 years but that 5 is encouraging because i can still make it

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I was hoping not waste my time in the store if someone on here has been through the same issue... why do you assume no one can give me an answer?

Calling a store was also suggested in the same post. Had you called a store, you'd have a definitive answer by now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As I said, you can call or go to the store. No one in the forum has control over what your local store will or will not do. They have the final word. They may determine it's the result of normal wear, or abuse, or accident, and not cover it. No one in the forum can read the minds of the people in your Apple store. You're spending more time posting here, where you can't get a definite answer, than you would have spent on the phone with your store, getting a definite answer.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Thanks i always heard 1 or 3 years but that 5 is encouraging because i can still make it

Yeah, with warranties and some stuff it will be 1-3 years, but if it's a defect they know about and have a select process they go through they'll do it for free before five years. They replaced my whole top casing for free and I didn't even go in for my MacBook! I went to have a question about my iCloud backup and when it was going they asked me if I wanted them to fix my MacBook!

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am somewhat concerned about this myself, actually more for the screen. The hinge is where the exhaust is, all that hot air gotta dry things up over time and... fortunately am jack-o-all-trade, if they've done it at ifixit.com then am golden. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.