Macbook Air - How to get back OS X

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mujica28, Aug 20, 2011.

1. mujica28, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

mujica28 macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum or area, but I need some help.
    I was trying to install Windows 7 on bootcamp from a USB drive, but somehow I messed up. I couldn't boot into OS X and Win 7 wasn't installing, so I formatted the whole drive.
    Windows 7 is now working fine, but I'd like to get OS X Lion back in my Macbook Air 13" 2011 base model. I have the OS X Lion dmg image, but I have no way of burning it, all I have are Windows Pcs. This was my first Mac and I managed to mess it up after 1 day :p.
    Could I just drag and copy the dmg OS X Lion image to the usb drive in Windows, or what should I do. PowerISO won't let me mount the image. I don't care about losing Windows 7.

Thank you for any help.
  2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2009
    New York, USA
  3. ZBoater macrumors G3

Jul 2, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I did something very similar, although I was messing with the disk partitions in the Disk Management utility in Windows, and hosed the whole drive. That was on launch day!!!

The next day I made an appointment at the Genius Bar, but they hadn't gotten the Lion USB install images, and the WiFi install wasn't working. I am guessing the didnt thing anyone would need it that soon. :rolleyes: They gave me a new laptop.

Since you already have Windows installed I am not exactly sure how reinstalling Lion will work. The build number of the Lion on the MBA is different from what's on the App Store. Chances are you'll have to start from scratch.

My Windows install experience on the new MBA with BootCamp 4.0 was very, very easy. If you already have the Windows ISO image, run BootCamp Assistant and you'll have Windows installed in under 20 minutes... :D