Macbook Air i7 13" - How well does it handle higher-end applications?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eddkahn, Aug 23, 2011.

1. eddkahn macrumors newbie

So yeah the title really says it all.

Could I smoothly run FCPX or Adobe After Effects CS5 - they are the most intensive apps I use.

I wont be doing anything super-intensive but I would like them to be able to run them well.

People have shown export times etc etc but that isn't the issue for me - I would like to know how smooth the air would be when working on it, will there be much lag at all?

Also I've heard mixed reviews about the screen - are curernt owners happy with theirs? What is it like for HD video?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

As fast as 2010 MacBook Pro plus faster storage access because of SSD.

3. eddkahn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply
    Do you have a 13" MBA - what is the screen like, I've been reading that it doesn't have good colour.

4. OSMac macrumors 65816

FCPx runs fine on a 13" i5 as well , its a little tricky doing precise work with the trackpad. Fans do ramp up with rendering.

If you need more performance would have to go to a 15" quad.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am extremely happy with mine. Screen is great, and watching hd videos is great. :apple:

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

And I meant the 15" and 17". The screen looks great on mine.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

The color gamut is better on the MacBook Pros than the MacBook Airs. I'd say the MacBook Air's display is mainstream in that it is on par with typical Windows notebooks. The MacBook Pro's display is above average.

8. eddkahn thread starter macrumors newbie

I've always used laptops (need the portability!) so I actually prefer using trackpads and find it weird to use a mouse!!! but just in case I have a magic mouse and wireless keyboard ready.

But yeah if it runs fine on the i5 then I should have no problem, thanks!

9. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

We've got two of the 2010 13 inch Airs that run CS5. It's not fast, but it's very useable.

10. Chipg macrumors regular

I am running cs 5.5 on my 13" i7 with no problems. 1080hd in PP with no problems.

11. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

As someone already sai you can get an Air that is fast or faster than any of last years Pros.

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If only they weren't still using a lower resolution on the MBP, I might have leaned that way. But after comparing them side to side, I really preferred the higher resolution of the MBA. But I will admit I use my 27" iMac when working on photos or video...