Macbook Air illuminated keyboard in regular Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by themetree, Jan 19, 2008.

1. themetree macrumors newbie

The Macbook Air illuminated keyboard is said to be identical to the Macbook full size keyboard. Do any of you guys think it's possible to integrate one of the Macbook air's illuminated keyboards into a regular Macbook for a full on lighted experience? ( i have a black one and it would be great to have those illuminated keys :cool: ) Tell me what you guys think. Is anyone up to the task?

2. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I think that when they revise the MacBook, Apple will keep the form factor exactly the same, but the keyboard illumination is a real possibility.

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I would disagree, I think they won't because they need to retain some pro features for the higher end.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Keep in mind that there isn't a keyboard per se to remove from the macbook. It's just a bunch of buttons with sensors underneath that stick above the main piece. You can't just take it out like on the iBooks. You would have to take it apart key by key, then put a different board on the inside of the computer and then put it back together. Ick.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Agreed, that was one of the main draws of the PowerBook over the iBook for years. The regular MacBook will likely remain a standard keyboard, no illumination. Helps keep costs down and provides more incentive for people to upgrade to the Pro model.

6. jasondd macrumors newbie

Re: MacBook getting illuminated keyboard...

iDAG, I really believe that Apple works in a sort of trickle-down manner similar to what is seen in luxury cars like Audi's and BMW's. The higher end products always get the cutting edge technology but as time passes lower end products end up with the same technology trickling down to them.

I'm with DavoMrMac - The MacBook will absolutely get an illuminated keyboard at some point. My opinion is that it's in the near future, possibly even part of the next update. Think about it... it happened with CD burners, then combo drives, then Superdrives.

Regarding the original post, I too would love to illuminate my keyboard but it doesn't seem plausible as akonradi said. The power, control, and lighting would be too much extra stuff for it to be a simple swap. If it was like the iBook's keyboard I would definitely try to swap though!

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I feel that all Macintosh notebook computers have over-engineered keyboards :cool:

For instance, my MBP's "L" key popped out, and just looking at the mountings of the key, I was scared as hell, seemed that even if I look at it the wrong way the thing would crumple up.

8. ABaker300 macrumors newbie

9. rhyx macrumors 6502