Macbook Air imperfection - what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shannonbrooke, Feb 20, 2012.

1. shannonbrooke macrumors member

I noticed an imperfection on my new Macbook Air when the screen is dark. It looks like a smudge (one that CAN'T be cleaned and won't go away) and I know this is a minor issue, and everything else with the Mac is perfect, but the "smudge" does bother me. Problem is, I read that Apple's return policy is only 14 days (as is Best Buy's, where I bought it) and I purchased it a couple days before Christmas. I highly doubt I caused this because I am very, VERY careful with it. So I'm wondering if there's anything Apple will do about it, or if I'm just stuck with it? This is my first Mac so I don't really know Apple's policy on these kinds of situations...

2. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Take it to the Apple store. If there is an issue with the display, they'll swap it out for you under AppleCare since the machine is under a year old. I had a similar issue on my iPhone 4S, and they just gave me a new one, no questions asked.

Most likely the "smudge" that you're talking about is some dying pixels or some adhesive that got under the glass. Either way, it shouldn't be there, and Apple should take care of it.

3. shannonbrooke thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I took it and complained over something so minor, if they would look at me like I'm crazy. What about everything I have on my computer though, will they transfer all that?

4. chrfr macrumors 604

Mac repairs aren't handled like iPhone repairs. They'll fix the computer, not swap it out, but there's no risk in taking it to the genius bar for evaluation. It's likely that they'll repair it for the OP if it's something they can see.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Have you listened to some of the people on this forum? :D

6. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Hah. Agreed. Just taking in a slightly defective product is going to be one of the easier things that the Genius Bar employees have to deal with.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just one moment...I'll be the judge of that!:rolleyes: :D

8. shannonbrooke thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone, chrfr was right, they just replaced the display and it was ofcourse free under my warranty. My only complaint is having to use a ****** PC for four days :D