MacBook Air in 2012 -- When to Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KieranDotW, Apr 12, 2012.

  1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a


    Apr 12, 2012
    First time post from a long time lurker.

    Basically, I've been looking into a MacBook Air for college for a whole now (most of high school that is) and after my aging, slow PC laptop completely and suddenly died on me a couple months back, I figured it was time to get serious about replacing it. I've been looking around the web on details for when the newest MBA should be coming out and it's really just a blur of information. Basically, seeing as the rumored Ivy Bridge release is only supposed to cover MBPs, I've been wondering whether the wait is worth it. Since I'm still in high school and looking for college, it's probably best I wait so it'll last longer, but then again having my iPhone as my sole computing device (plus my Mac mini, when I get the chance to) just isn't cutting it.

    That said, what do you all think? And BTW sorry for the huge rambling above :p
  2. oneMadRssn macrumors 601


    Sep 8, 2011
    Boston, MA
    you should start by reading one of the other three dozen "buy now or wait?" threads in this section.
  3. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular


    Mar 1, 2012
    I'd buy now, while its still only 6 months old
  4. njean777 macrumors 6502

    Oct 17, 2009
    Buy it now if you want/need it now, and be happy. Unless you need the better processor then there is no point in waiting. Just be sure to get a model with at least 4gb of ram.
  5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

    Mar 13, 2012
    Buy a refurb now. Refurbs for the new models will be delayed even longer. Refurbs have the same warranty and I've yet to hear from an unhappy buyer of one.
  6. Fleet would mac macrumors member

    Mar 8, 2012
    I think you've just answered your own question there! :)

    For younger people like yourself, where typically a disproportionate amount of emphasis is placed on having the latest and greatest "cool" technology, it's usually better to wait, especially if it took a long time to save up the (large amounts of) money involved.

    Be prepared to have to wait until July, plus or minus a month or so. The CPUs needed for the Airs won't be out until early June, so that's your most optimistic timescale. On the pessimistic side, it could be "late Summer", as also rumored for the next Mac OS X version ("Mountain Lion"). I think it's unlikely that we'll have to wait even longer than that, because there will be lots of ultrabook releases from June onwards creating a lot of interest, and I don't think Apple will feel very happy with allowing the competition too much of a head start.
  7. theSeb macrumors 604


    Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    The 2011 MBA came out in July 2011. How did you work out 6 months? :confused:

    OP, the next MBA will most likely come out in June/July this year. When exactly do you need this new computer? If you can afford one and can wait until around the end of July (I would say in the worst case), then you may as well wait for the 2012 model. The biggest difference will be the improved integrated graphics, Intel HD 4000. I am hoping for USB 3 ports as well, which will be handy. We will probably see about 10% faster CPUs and slightly better battery life.

    Having said all that, I love my 2011 MBA and use it on a daily basis for work and it will be more than good enough for your college stuff, no matter what you're studying. Hell, I got through my university with a 486 DX4 100 and then upgraded to a beast Celeron 300 MHz, but I am a bit older than you are.

    You could also save some money by getting a refurbished 2011 model.
  8. silver8ack macrumors regular

    Jul 22, 2010
    I'd personally wait until the 2012 Macbook Air is out before buying it.
  9. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    the ULV Ivy Bridge chips aren't due out till June, so new MBA will happen after that.
  10. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Very good advice.

    And more excellent advice.

    Buy a MBA if you think you need one now - if you merely want one, I'd suggest that you wait until after the update when whatever minor glitches may well appear have been ironed out. Meanwhile, if you buy now, you can always sell it on if what appears in the updated models proves irresistible.
  11. kooskoos1814 macrumors member

    Apr 6, 2012
    The 2011 MBA is really an awesome machine and still powerful enough for almost any college work (incl, computer science etc.).

    I'm an engineering student and I'm really happy with my 11'' 4GB 128GB Air, this beast rocks.

    The only improvement that would really be a deal breaker on the 2012 would be improved battery life (I get about 4h30-4h45 on mine), minimum 5h30. If it's only a new CPU and GPU with improved performance, I don't need that to work...
  12. dilthey macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2012
  13. Kyllle macrumors 6502

    Apr 25, 2011
    It's over 9 months old...
  14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

    Les Kern

    Apr 26, 2002
    Get it when you absolutely need it. That way you don't waste your money and you get the latest iteration.
  15. Markus80 macrumors newbie

    May 10, 2010
    I am going to wait. I would like to see if Apple is going to use a high quality 13" screen like the new Samsung Series 9 have.

Share This Page