MacBook Air in clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rip-the-jacker, Jun 17, 2015.

1. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

hey guys,

I have just sold my Mac Pro as it was way way overkill for my needs so now I'm using my air, I have setup upstairs on a dock but cannot connect to the Internet.

Is that because of the antenna being on the inside or something? Am I correct in saying if I get a usb to Ethernet and connect via a powerline link for the electrical socket and then disable wireless altogether will that sort the connection problem?

Just want to ask before I shell out on the parts in case I am misinformed

Thanks guys, RTJ

2. helveta macrumors member

I use my mba in clamshell mode every day and never have a problem connecting to wireless.

3. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Is your Mba close to your router at all? Mine is downstairs in the living room.

RTJ

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Some of the first polycarbonate MacBooks had their antennas positioned in such a way that wifi would stop working when they were in lid-closed mode. This was a bummer.

I haven't had any problems with using wifi in lid-closed mode with my MBA though.

Just to confirm, it can pick up the wifi signal with the lid open?

5. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the weird thing is it seems to be working now?wtf? I'm ordering the stuff and going to hardware anyways.

RTJ

6. motrek macrumors 68020

Shouldn't be a huge outlay. There are some adapters for $10 that get good reviews on Amazon.

7. rip-the-jacker thread starter macrumors 6502

Hardware setup, works a treat now. Real pleased.

RTJ