MacBook Air in clamshell mode

rip-the-jacker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
hey guys,

I have just sold my Mac Pro as it was way way overkill for my needs so now I'm using my air, I have setup upstairs on a dock but cannot connect to the Internet.

Is that because of the antenna being on the inside or something? Am I correct in saying if I get a usb to Ethernet and connect via a powerline link for the electrical socket and then disable wireless altogether will that sort the connection problem?

Just want to ask before I shell out on the parts in case I am misinformed

Thanks guys, RTJ

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
I use my mba in clamshell mode every day and never have a problem connecting to wireless.

motrek

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2012
hey guys,

I have just sold my Mac Pro as it was way way overkill for my needs so now I'm using my air, I have setup upstairs on a dock but cannot connect to the Internet.

Is that because of the antenna being on the inside or something? Am I correct in saying if I get a usb to Ethernet and connect via a powerline link for the electrical socket and then disable wireless altogether will that sort the connection problem?
Some of the first polycarbonate MacBooks had their antennas positioned in such a way that wifi would stop working when they were in lid-closed mode. This was a bummer.

I haven't had any problems with using wifi in lid-closed mode with my MBA though.

Just to confirm, it can pick up the wifi signal with the lid open?

rip-the-jacker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, the weird thing is it seems to be working now?wtf? I'm ordering the stuff and going to hardware anyways.

RTJ