Macbook Air in Korea

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jspaladin, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jspaladin macrumors newbie

jspaladin

Hey guys,

Im newly registered in the forums here, though I have been reading them for a good two years. Usually, I can find all the answers i need just by looking around, but I cant seem to find an answer to my question this time.

I am waiting for the Macbook Air 13" to arrive in South Korea. I am a South African ESL teacher here, and I recently sold my 2010 macbook pro to "upgrade" to the Macbook Air June 2011. The thing is, its not in Korea yet. You all know it was released last month, but so far, it hasn't come to the Korean Apple stores.

I know SA has it there... I REALLY WANT MY MACBOOK AIR! Im even buying the Speck cover before I get the Air so i can at least feel like I am getting closer to having it.

My question is: Do any of you know when it will arrive in Korea?

Thanks, Oh wise ones...

2. jspaladin thread starter macrumors newbie

jspaladin

*goes to the top floor and jumps off* :apple:

3. FrankHahn, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

It won't take that long.

I went to the online store in Korea. It says that the shipping will be in the middle of August. Thus, it is not a long time to go!

4. jspaladin thread starter macrumors newbie

jspaladin

I just find it so strange. I mean, South Africa is by no means a technologically superior country, or a huge market for Apple products (though, like in all places, its getting bigger). Yet, South Korea, a MONSTER in the tech world receives it many weeks after SA...

I guess it has to do with Samsung and the SK government that has protection laws for them, or something like that...

Thanks for the replies, guys.

5. iclubhouse macrumors newbie

Did you order Macbook air from the Apple store online yet? I heard they are going to start shipping next week. Since there is no apple retail store in Korea, you'd better order it from the Apple store online.

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Yes, you better order it now in the online store so that it will be shipped to you once available.

7. jspaladin thread starter macrumors newbie

jspaladin

Unfortunately I do not have a credit card to buy it online. But Im in Daegu, which has two authorised re-sellers, so I can get one easily when it get released. Seoul also has at least two re-sellers.

I asked the ones in Daegu today, and after a long conversation using Google translate, I have found that the 13" will be out here on the 17th. Im OK with waiting, cause I'll be on leave then :).

Thanks for the replies guys. Now all I have to do is try and find a Speck Seethru for it.

8. Meever macrumors 6502a

From what I understand Apple products aren't as popular in Korea as they are in other Asian countries. Hell, when I brought my iPod Touch there when it first came out my cousin had the most confused look on his face when he saw it.

9. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I bet Apple products aren't that popular in S. Korea because the "pride" thing.
    Koreans don't want to admit that foreign products are superior to Korean made ones.

Also Windows PC's are far more popular than Macs in Korea. That might explain why ios devices don't have the market penetration there as well. Although this is slowly changing.

10. jsolares macrumors 6502a

And here i bought one in a decidedly third world country this saturday (Guatemala, Central America), i think it's the fastest i've seen an apple product make it down here, the reseller only had 1 english keyboard, 1 spanish of the entry 13" model, and like 4 others of the other models tho.