MacBook Air Install Discs on a early-2008 MacBook??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dubhe, Feb 22, 2009.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

As I have my new shiny (liney...) MBA I am selling my Black MacBook on eBay. All of my MB install discs are at home (where I will be in a few days), can I use the MacBook Air install discs to clean install Leopard or should I wait until I get home and use the MacBook discs?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Restore disks are machine specific. This has been asked dozens of times.

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

They're kinda machine-specific. You can usually get restore disks to install onto an older machine than they're made for, but not onto a newer one. That said, I'd only ever recommend it as a last-ditch effort since it's a kinda hackish procedure.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

A retail copy of Leopard (newest) will work on all of them. Original Leopard retail isn't usable for Nvidia portables.

5. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

As I say it's brand new MacBook Air discs for a early-2008 MacBook. But, I'll wait until I get home, thing is I only have one night before I go away again so kind of wanted to get ahead of the game!

If I just created a new user with admin rights, then logged in as that user and deleted the old [my] user, would that delete all of my files? I know they would still be on the disc and recoverable, but to your average Joe they would be gone?