MacBook Air & Insurance

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RaMaz07, Jan 22, 2009.

  1. RaMaz07 macrumors member

    Dec 20, 2008
    Hello. I recently bought a MacBook Air (specs in sig) and what i planned to do with it is take it to school everyday (High School). My School is getting Wifi real soon (about time) so i will be able to use that.

    I planned on getting insurance on this machine because people can be idiots and break other peoples property. Since i would be taking this everyday and it is 3 pounds something might happen. I want to go with SafeWare but its about $150 - $180 (U.S.) a year for a full protection. (I have the 3 year Apple Care Plan but as you all know it does not cover "accidental" damage).

    What I wanted to know is if any of you have had experience with SafeWare, thoughts of the protection etc. etc.

    Have any of you in college bought insurance (besides Apple Care) for your MBAs?

    I have taken other MacBooks to my school before and have been extremely and extra careful (those machines only have Apple Care as well).

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

    Jan 6, 2008
    honestly I think Safeware is too expensive. Try State Farm under personal articles insurance. You can insure your other electronics with it and maybe it will give you coverage for like $3,000 dollars worth of stuff for only $35 dollars a year with no deductible. I had one for macbook air, iphone and digital camera. I pay around $35.58 a year... I'm a college student by the way..
  3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

    Jul 24, 2008
    insurance for a laptop is a waste of money. Just take care of it and don't let it leave your site.
  4. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    All insurance is a risk. You are buying the risk that your MBA gets stolen/damaged. So, you are betting against your own ability to keep it safe from damage and theft. I don't think ALL insurance is a waste nor is laptop insurance a "waste."

    For some people, insurance is not worth the money as they will have very little chance for using the insurance. While I think someone around other kids will run more risks of potential damage/theft. So, insurance depends on you and your situation.

    Do your parents own a house or have renters insurance? Good chance your MBA will be covered, but smart to ask and determine if fully covered. The other poster was correct, you are probably going to be much better off going with an insurance company with a personal insurance policy if parents doesn't cover it.

    I have always had homeowners insurance cover all of my tech equipment/notebooks on a separate floater policy. Keep receipts and nice to keep a database of all inventory with prices and photos for proof of ownership in case there is a claim.

    Best wishes with it, what a wonderful Mac.
  5. ducatidoc macrumors regular


    Apr 20, 2008
    absolutely correct. just added my mba to my renters insurance policy and ran me less than $50. it's no covered from loss, theft, or spiils, if i drop it, etc. just to be clear though, i did what is known as "scheduling" the item. homeowners and rents insurance covers loss by theft or fire/loss, but not if you drop it, the dog chews it, etc. scheduling a piece of property is what many people do with their engagement rings, and covers all forms of loss (like a milk spill in the high school caf).

    you might need your receipt and serial number for documentation purposes, so keep it handy.

    also, if you are in high school, and still live with the 'rents, have them add it to their homeowners/renters insurance. no sense in getting a separate policy for one item.
  6. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

    Feb 5, 2008
    NYC - Manhattan
    You may want to consider how making a claim under your parents homeowners policy will effect their insurance rates. It may be more prudent to insure it under a separate personal articles policy.

Share This Page