Macbook Air interface?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by matthewHUB, Mar 5, 2008.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I read the guide about recording through your mac. The MBA doesn't have a line in. I can't decide whether to buy one of these external sound cards like the m-audio transit, and use a stereo sony mic that i got when i bought my minidisc player (<$100), or buy an xlr-usb adapter like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicMate/

I would then need to buy (or borrow) a single condensing stereo mic. I will be recording instrumental lessons (cello masterclasses etc) and want very good quality quality without having to carry about a large usb interface. Is a high quality obtainable through these single xlr to usb devices? there is another one here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicPortPro/

I've only ever used paired condensers (Rode Nt-5s), so i'm not sure what kind of single stereo condenser would be best. Any help would be much appreciated.

Best,

M

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The iMic from Griffin Technology might serve you better for input. Or you could purchase on of the many USB Mics out there in the world.

TEG

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i saw the Griffin iMic, but then i'm restricted to using my cheap sony mic... which is ok but by no means stellar.

My max budget is around $400. If i could get a decent adapter and single xlr (which at a later date i could buy another one and have true stereo with a proper interface) then i'd be happy. Are the USB mics any good? Are they comparable to XLR condensers?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

USB Mic seems like the easiest problem-solver to me.

5. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

but i'd prefer to have en external sound card. whats the smallest most portable 2 track xlr USB interface out there?

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Edirol UA-25. I'm not incredibly impressed with it, but it will do the job. It's bus powered.

7. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

how are you not impressed by it? How does it compare to the equivalent modules form digidesign/m-audio/tascam?

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's audio output is not amazing. The fact that it does all of what it does from 5v @ 500ma is however amazing. I mean - if you want bus powered, it's probably your best option. But it's not your best option soundwise if you can allow yourself a wallwart.

9. jr1478le macrumors newbie

I would recommend the Apogee Duet
    Small and easy to move around.

10. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Apogee Duet is firewire. no fw on the MBA. it's a perfect size though. is there anything comparable in size/portability in USB?