Macbook air, ipad, sometimes camera messenger bag

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Chrisbkreme, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Chrisbkreme macrumors member

Hey guys, looking for a messenger bag for college, as I feel backpacks are getting juvenile. I'm currently looking at this one: http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html#ranger-tan
    and wondering if anyone knew of ones like it, preferably for less money. Looking for it to be able to hold my air 13, iPad 2, sometimes a dslr, a couple books etc. Waxed Canvas or leather preferable. Thanks.

2. fishes234 macrumors newbie

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was going to recommend something, but forget it. Go with the Ona. That bag looks awesome in grey!

Even if you find a better deal on a camera bag, you won't save much. Camera bags are expensive even if they're just nylon. Now add great looks to it, and you should expect to pay around.....oh.....$279.

4. Cole JM macrumors regular

5. BigSaintDogs, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

BigSaintDogs macrumors member

6. misterneums macrumors 6502

That bag looks amazing.

Pretty much all of my bags currently are Tom Bihn bags. They are a small Seattle company that uses high quality American supplies as much as possible. They have lifetime warranties on their bags.

Tom Bihn ID
    Tom Bihn Ego
    Tom Bihn Super Ego

I personally own a Super Ego and use it as my Camera Bag w/a Macbook Air. You'll have to find your only inserts on Amazon. Tom's working on an insert for his bags--but it's not quite ready yet.

7. wiregen macrumors member

8. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

GOD DAMN these bags are expensive. I didn't realize they can be so pricey!!!! For now I just put everything in a backpack. I have a Nikon D90, a 13 i7 Pro, soon to be 13 Air i7, and some paperwork!!

9. Cole JM macrumors regular

When you spend $1000 on a camera you dint protect it with a $11 bag.

10. meistervu macrumors 65816

OP, while I love the look and ease of access of messenger bags, ergonomically they are horrible for heavy load.

I was able to put up with a 20D, a 24-70 f/2.8, a 135 f/2, and a flash for a couple of hours, but it's a pain in the neck. I had to think hard about what lenses to take with me and what to leave behind. When I go on a hike, I never take my messenger bag.

So before you buy one for that intended use, make sure you are comfortable with the load and the length of time that you are going to carry that load.

11. drxcm macrumors regular

Why not? I use tote bag from the supermarket to store my Leica M9 in when I'm going for a walk. I think it cost around $2. Whatever works. Sometimes I put a scarf in the bottom of the bag to protect against bumps.

My M9 has no scratches / marks or dings. It looks perfect. So I think my $2 bag is just fine.

12. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

I own a lowepro backpack for longer trips, and a different backpack for nature pictures/hiking. I wanted this messenger bag as something I could "dress up" with as it looks more professional and classier than a backpack.

13. meistervu macrumors 65816

Ah, I see.

That bag looks really nice. It's deceptively huge: in the video the 70-200 2.8 fitted without any problem. I have looked at some canvas bags made by Domke and I wasn't impressed by the styles. I doubt if you will be able to find something similar for a cheaper price.

I like Crumpler. Their bags are well made and really protective (sometime more than I want as it makes the bag bigger). But they use high tech material instead of wax canvas. Leather is nice but it gets heavy and expensive.

14. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

15. beewee808 macrumors newbie

Great travel bag for DSLR camera (or two) plus an iPad (or two)!

I needed something for my Canon DSLR and my iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-3445-Rally-Camera-Netbook/dp/B0045O0DHW

I wanted something for travelling that could comfortably carry my Canon DSLR (EOS 7D) with the kit zoom lens (28-135mm), plus a 2nd smaller Canon 50mm lens, plus my iPad. And I didn't want a backpack, or a large messenger/duffel bag. In other words, I wanted to find the smallest, lightest option which could give me quick access to my gear.

Since purchasing the bag, I've actually been able to travel with the above mentioned gear, PLUS another camera (Fuji x100) AND a 2nd iPad (my wife's), all in this one bag. The inner compartment dividers are flexible and customizable enough for me to squeeze in both cameras, the extra lens and additional bits of gear. The flap opens at the top for pretty easy access to everything.

The inner vertical iPad slot actually was able to hold TWO iPads (one with the Apple iPad original case, the other iPad2 with a Smart Cover attached). It is a snug fit for 2 iPads, but, hey it works!

The outer back pocket was great for quick access for a magazine, guidebooks or maps, and the zippered front pocket area was great for carrying extra batteries, memory cards, chargers/travel European power adapters. There are also two side outer mesh pockets which, for me, held bottled water and snacks.

The wide strap has a nice padded shoulder piece, and the attached handle grip was handy (no pun intended) to have. I like the dimensions of this bag, and that it's smaller than the typical messenger bag or backpack.

16. glen e macrumors 68030

x2 - I have this in a medium messenger - works perfect...