Macbook Air is not copying large files anymore, please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by krisifails, Nov 5, 2013.

1. krisifails macrumors newbie

Suddenly my Macbook is not copying files to my external drive or USB sticks anymore. It worked fine before and when I plugged the external drive in TimeMachine backed up as usual. But now when I try to copy larger files (small files seem to work fine, say anything under 1GB) to a USB stick, or even between the two partitions of my external drive, Finder shows me the copying window, establishing a time remaining. It then copies as usual, but all of a sudden the Finder window disappears and when I click on Finder again my file "seems" to have been copied, but is transparent in the location it should have been copied to and can't be opened.

I already verified and repaired disk permissions and I have no other idea what to do. My USB stick is formated as FAT32, so is one of the partitions of the external drive. The other is OS Extended.

Can someone please help me?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

How large are the files you can't copy ?

Remember that you can not copy files larger than 4 GB to a FAT32 drive.

3. krisifails thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried different file sizes. A file of 150MB transferred fine, while a 2,3GB folder didn't.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Which is the partition table ? GUID or MBR ? (check using Disk Utility).

Did you connect this external drive to a Windows computer ?

5. krisifails thread starter macrumors newbie

It's MBR and I didn't connect it to any other computer. The USB sticks that usually work are not working anymore either.

since Finder is behaving so glitchy (the windows randomly disappearing when I copy files) maybe there's something wrong with my system?

6. krisifails thread starter macrumors newbie

i managed to solve it! for some reason quitting google drive stopped finder from acting up and enabled copying files again :)

7. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Seems you already solved it, but for a minute I thought you had one of those fake USB sticks who advertise a bigger than actual size.

8. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Heh, it's been happening to me as well. Console is showing that Finder is crashing every minute or so, and you can recognize it because the desktop items disappear for half a second. Or, in the case of thread starter, because large files don't can't be copied. In my case, a reboot fixed it.

I run both Google Drive and the Copy.com sync client, and they both integrate with Finder to display custom icons.